Which earphones are better, JVC HA-FX55 or FX66?
Mar 26, 2008 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

arreat89

New Head-Fier
Durability - I am pretty rough with mine, and what I really need most is a durable durable wire. I usually yank out my headphones whenever I want to switch from my computer speakers to my MP3 player.

Sound quality - I listen to rock and rap most, I like having a lot of bass. I liked the sound quality of the FX33's, if that helps.

Comfort - I tried the marshmallow earbuds and I hated them, they never could stay in my ear, and the tips are too big for my tiny ear canals (it felt like my inner ear was being ripped). Not to mention how the foam felt like rock hard plastic.

Lastly I'd like headphones that stay firmly inside and do a decent job of isolating noise, the marshmallows do pretty good for isolating (for the 20 minutes when they're in my ear).

Mar 27, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by arreat89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comfort - I tried the marshmallow earbuds and I hated them, they never could stay in my ear, and the tips are too big for my tiny ear canals (it felt like my inner ear was being ripped). Not to mention how the foam felt like rock hard plastic.

Try replacing the foam with Shure E2C or UE tips. Much more comfortable.

Steve

Mar 30, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 10
I would like to know which of the two are better as well

Mar 30, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 10
Having tried both, I like the FX55 more. It's slightly faster, the bass is a bit more precise at mid-low bass, but it's quite bad at very low bass, if it isn't amped.

I ended up keeping the FX55's. I don't regret that at all. The only thing is that they only come with 3 sets of tips, the small, medium, and large.

Mar 30, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #5 of 10
They're so cheap I'm quite tempted to check them out. How do they compare to the KSC75s?

Mar 30, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 10
Since I have the HA-FX66-W, I can say they're pretty good, with reasonable durability and good sound, if a bit too emphasized on the treble side.

Mar 31, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenochimera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
personally, i find the 33s to be better than the 66.

In what way?

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathwish238 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In what way?

to me the 66 sounds hollow. it might be because my 33s are burned in and have the foam mod done to them. i just find it to be better in the mids and highs, impactful bass. the 66s sounds like sounds leaking from it. i havent done the bass mod on it and i have listened to it maybe at max 50 hours so burn in is another issue. i ll give it a shot after i burn it in with some pink noise and get some tape for the mod. but as of right now, i prefer my 33s way more.

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #10 of 10
I far prefer the FX55 to the 33, 66 or 77. They really benefit from non-stock tips, though. If you have some lying around from an old EX71 or CX300 they will make a huge difference. They are very quick and have better impact than the other canalphones in the line. The FX55's treble is also my favorite of the four. I traveled through China with my FX55, often sticking them directly in my pocket. They still work very well and sound even better with age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back