Which? E3c or ER6i based on soundstage.
Oct 18, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #18 of 27
I've never really equated a fully functional soundstage to the canalphones I've owned. (E5, E3c, E2c, ER-4P/S, with ER-6i on order... haven't heard a peep out of iDealsound since I paid them, which is a bit worrying)

E3c's don't 'break in'. Any 'break in' is your hearing adjusting to it.
E3c's are very efficient. Do not turn them up 'to get the bass'. You'll get tinnitus or hearing loss. This is extremely obvious but I have noticed some posters failing to apply common sense, so I'll mention it.
E3c's have stronger mid-bass than the Etymotic ER-4 but the low bass is the same. The ER-4 do not extend lower down as sometimes claimed. The difference is not huge however, and if you're expecting 'slam' the E3c will disappoint you too.
E3c's have a prominent midrange with most tips and can sound upfront and aggressive as a result. EQ down the mids for best results. There is no need to jack up the highs to the excessive levels of the Etymotic ER-4's to hear detail (unless you already have high-end hearing loss)

I have no comment on the ER-6i yet.

Oct 18, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #19 of 27
Bangraman:
If I lower the mids and raise the low end with a portables equalizer, will that help the base in a noticeable way (It would be great if I can get a sound close to the E5c).

Oct 19, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I've never really equated a fully functional soundstage to the canalphones I've owned. (E5, E3c, E2c, ER-4P/S, with ER-6i on order... haven't heard a peep out of iDealsound since I paid them, which is a bit worrying)

E3c's don't 'break in'. Any 'break in' is your hearing adjusting to it.
E3c's are very efficient. Do not turn them up 'to get the bass'. You'll get tinnitus or hearing loss. This is extremely obvious but I have noticed some posters failing to apply common sense, so I'll mention it.
E3c's have stronger mid-bass than the Etymotic ER-4 but the low bass is the same. The ER-4 do not extend lower down as sometimes claimed. The difference is not huge however, and if you're expecting 'slam' the E3c will disappoint you too.
E3c's have a prominent midrange with most tips and can sound upfront and aggressive as a result. EQ down the mids for best results. There is no need to jack up the highs to the excessive levels of the Etymotic ER-4's to hear detail (unless you already have high-end hearing loss)

I have no comment on the ER-6i yet.

cuz its on backorder till the new etys come out...

please do a comparison when u get the e6i. I like the etys cuz i want detail, but my music may need some bass. I dont like the idea of excessive or rolled off highs... i've got annoyed by the ksc 35s. So i would like to know what would be best also

Oct 19, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #22 of 27
Now between the E3c and ER4 without an amp which:

-is better for rock, like coldplay, nirvana.
-has a more pleasant and involving sound.
-is fuller sounding.

Oct 19, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #24 of 27
I think you'd be satisfied with the E3c, as long as you use equalization. The EQ you should be using is the normal "bowl" type - more bass, less mids, more treble. Lowering the level of the lower mids helps a lot in making the E3 sound less murky, which has been a complaint.

Oct 19, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
Now between the E3c and ER4 without an amp which:

-is better for rock, like coldplay, nirvana.
-has a more pleasant and involving sound.
-is fuller sounding.

To be honest, this is like asking "which is the best heavyweight boxer, Richard Simmons or Mikhail Baryshnikov?". Both are definitely compromises in regard to what you seem to want. I'd say the E3c is more suited, but this is relative. The E3c does not have the impact and tonal characteristic you'd be looking for from a 'rock' phone, and phrases such as 'full sounding' are relatively alien to both phones. You'd choose these because they are the best compromise for portability and isolation, married with a relatively high-resolution sound for both. Things like 'involvement', 'fat sound' and 'impact' are somewhat secondary considerations / abilities for these phones.

Oct 19, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

To be honest, this is like asking "which is the best heavyweight boxer, Richard Simmons or Mikhail Baryshnikov?". Both are definitely compromises in regard to what you seem to want. I'd say the E3c is more suited, but this is relative. The E3c does not have the impact and tonal characteristic you'd be looking for from a 'rock' phone, and phrases such as 'full sounding' are relatively alien to both phones. You'd choose these because they are the best compromise for portability and isolation, married with a relatively high-resolution sound for both. Things like 'involvement', 'fat sound' and 'impact' are somewhat secondary considerations / abilities for these phones.

I agree with most of this, except that I find the E3 to be very "involving," at least in my sense of the word, and I listen to a lot of rock music. The bass isn't going to pound you and the high end isn't going to pierce your eardrums, though.

Oct 21, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Hello Mr. Bangraman,

What if I just want to get the exact same experience as you are getting with your Sure E5s on your mini ipod, but I want to pay 75% less than you did to get the same experience? What then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back