Which DVD player can play back CD as bit-perfect?
Aug 20, 2005 at 7:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

yfei

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Benchmark DAC1, and looking for a bit-perfect DVD player (or CD player, if no dvd player can do that).
I have tried Samsung HD841 (some people say it's the same as Toshiba 4960), the sound is quite harsh, both the dvd player's analog output, and digitaly driving DAC1.
It's so harsh compared to foobar2000 ASIO->Transit USB. (I am assuming transit usb as bit perfect.

Are there any low or mid priced dvd player can play back CD in bit-perfect? Thanks!

Aug 21, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 8
The posts say Panasonic DVD-S47 can output true 192k DVD-A to DAC1, but didn't mention anything about Redbook.

Again, how to tell if a DVD player can output 44.1k original CD data? Are there a database?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain
Panasonic DVD-S47. Also check this thread out Link

Aug 21, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 8
Where is the concern coming from? Is it that common for DVD players to not have bit-perfect digital outs? If so I would avoid the worry and go with a dedicated CD player with digital out. But then, how can you be sure a dedicated CD player does have bit-perfect digital output?

Aug 22, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by yfei
The posts say Panasonic DVD-S47 can output true 192k DVD-A to DAC1, but didn't mention anything about Redbook.

Again, how to tell if a DVD player can output 44.1k original CD data? Are there a database?

If you're good with a computer, do some searching on variations of "bit" and "perfect" and you'll come across a thread where someone explains how to copy from your player to hard drive and compare with a copy made from CD-ROM. (At least that's how I think it works!)

Easier would be to give Benchmark a call. I'm sure the Panasonic S47 is bit-perfect because they use it to demo the DAC1 at shows. And I've seen mention of other name-brand inexpensive DVD players that they use but can't recall them.

My understanding from reading this board and others is that virtually all CD/DVD players are bit-perfect if you make sure that any audio enhancements are turned off. The only player I've seen the techies say isn't bit-perfect is a particular model of, I think, Toshiba... Again, you should be able to find it with the search function.

Good luck,
Beau

Aug 22, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauregard
The only player I've seen the techies say isn't bit-perfect is a particular model of, I think, Toshiba... Again, you should be able to find it with the search function.

I guess the model is TOshiba 4960, which is the same as my current dvd player Samsung HD841. The none perfect is very obvious, sound is edgy and harsh.

Thanks for confirming that most other DVD players are ok, I will just buy another one, maybe the Panasonic S47.

Aug 22, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 8
Beau,

was this the thread that mentioned Toshiba that you were referring to? I didn't see any mention of the sd4960 in it. While I don't own the 4960, I own the 4900 and to my ears, it doesn't sound edgy or harsh when used as a transport.

Nevertheless, the link is an interesting read.

Aug 23, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by yfei
... Thanks for confirming that most other DVD players are ok, I will just buy another one, maybe the Panasonic S47.

I bought the S47 when I replaced the dead "casual" CD player in the house with the Tosh 4900 I had been using with my DAC1. And I've been very pleased with it - video as well as audio via the Benchmark in my den/listening room. More sophisticated video controls than the similarly priced Tosh and, in addition to passing full 192k/24bit from DVD-As that aren't copy protected, has a couple of nice audio convenience features. It identifies PCM tracks by sampling rate, word length and type (LPCM or PPCM). And, if you're not going to use it with a monitor, it has a "group" button that allows switching between stereo and multi-channel DVD-A tracks without looking at an on-screen menu.

Nice unit for not much money...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim_the_gamer
was this the thread that mentioned Toshiba that you were referring to? I didn't see any mention of the sd4960 in it. While I don't own the 4960, I own the 4900 and to my ears, it doesn't sound edgy or harsh when used as a transport.

I had a look at the link in your post and it looks like it's describing Toshiba CD-ROM drives, not DVD players.

The thread I had in mind is right here on Head-Fi and I'm almost positive that the guilty unit is the Tosh 4960 that yfei mentioned. Hmm... I'm too lazy to go looking but it just occurred to me that the person who's posted knowledgeably about the bit-perfect stuff is, I think, jefemeister. Hope I spelled that correctly... and no promises; my middle aged memory ain't what it used to be.

Like you, I had no complaints about the sound quality of the Tosh 4900 when I was using it as a transport. It's my understanding that, unlike the 4960, it derives from the highly-regarded Tosh 3950 series which has never been accused of non-bit-perfectosity.
rolleyes.gif

Best,
Beau

Users who are viewing this thread

Back