which DSOTM version do I want? (CD)
Dec 30, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 9
I haven't heard all of them but the best on cd that I have heard so far is the Mobile Fidelity Ultradisc II.

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by golgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard all of them but the best on cd that I have heard so far is the Mobile Fidelity Ultradisc II.

-----------[end of thread, cut here]-----------

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 9
I've heard half a dozen versions, and my favorite, over the msfl, sacd, and so on is the original japan harvest / black triangle release. It's tough to find physically, but it's available online if you search around a bit. Mods delete this if you feel it's inappropriate although I'm trying to be aspecific and helpful.

By the way, specifically, I find the original release wins in terms of dynamics, clarity, bass, and other areas.

I've also heard a vinyl of it, which was excellent, so you might want to look for needledrops.

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 9
I prefer the MFSL to the Black Triangle. I found the Black Triangle to be shrill. Too bright in places.

Ultimately the one you want is the second CD release (not the original with the solid prism cover). It's the cheapest to get ahold of and the difference in DSOTM with the uber masterings isnt as great as the difference in other albums I've heard. Like Thick As A Brick or Aja.

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the MFSL to the Black Triangle. I found the Black Triangle to be shrill. Too bright in places.

Maybe needs to be de-emphasized?
smile.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 9
The first mastering (The Sony Japan Mastering) of DSOTM does reportedly have pre-emphasis. If you get your hands on that version and want to rip it you'll need to deal with the pre-emphasis. There's the handy Ham Sandwich guide to pre-emphasis that explains how to rip and then apply the necessary de-emphasis.

I don't own the first mastering and have never actually heard it.

I picked up the MFSL version way back and haven't felt the need to go dig for that elusive first mastering.

Dec 31, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 9
i got the MFSL.

thanks for all the input.

but now, of course, i want to hear as many different versions as possible so ill probably just start picking up every version and format i can find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back