Which dongle for -
Dec 2, 2022 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mhog55

Headphoneus Supremus
No longer have an LG phone, rather a Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus. I want the dongle strictly for watching movies and streaming series. Won't be listening to any music. I'd rather go this route and use my current cans, rather than purchase a Bluetooth headphone. The dongle must have a 4.4mm option.
What I'm after is sheer simplicity. Plug and play essentially. I'd rather not need to use an app if possible. Not looking to tweak or fine tune. My top choice atm is the Shanling UA3. I own both the M6 Pro original, and the M8. Big fan of the tuning and chips. Never been a big fan of most ESS designs, as I find them a bit harsh, bright, and at times analytical. However, the Hiby FC4 is my 2nd choice for now, as I use the Hiby app on both of my daps.
I have lousy WiFi for now, so I'd like to not need to use it. I'm assuming I can use the Hiby or Eddict music player without the need for WiFi?
Again, I just want to plug it in and watch my phone screen. My budget here is 120 bucks, and I'm open to any suggestions. A couple of headphones I enjoy watching movies with are my Focal Clear MG and Kennerton Gjallarhorn. Not sure that the Shanling will provide quite enough power, but I also won't be listening at the same volumes I do with music.

Dec 2, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 7
I have the HiBy FC4--it is a little harsh at times, as you've noted. But plug and play on my V60 and has plenty of power.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 7
D

Do you need to use the Hiby app if you don't want to?
You do not--as soon as I plug it in, I can hear system notifications, Netflix, the Tidal App, everything.

Though the HiBy Music App lets your configure UAT, Exclusive Mode, etc. which does improve the sound slightly.

Dec 2, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 7
You do not--as soon as I plug it in, I can hear system notifications, Netflix, the Tidal App, everything.

Though the HiBy Music App lets your configure UAT, Exclusive Mode, etc. which does improve the sound slightly.
Perfect, thanks 👍. I think I'll grab one.

Dec 2, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 7
One thing to mention with the FC4, when I got it, there was an issue with the Tidal App--it would prompt to allow the USB connection and if I clicked yes, the tempo was slow on all Master songs. If I clicked no, Master would play with distortion. At the same time, YouTube would play with a faster tempo. This was on the V60TM T-Mobile variant. I switched to Verizon with the V60VM variant and there are no playback issues... everything sounds perfect.

So get it as long as you can return it if there are issues.

Dec 2, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 7
One thing to mention with the FC4, when I got it, there was an issue with the Tidal App--it would prompt to allow the USB connection and if I clicked yes, the tempo was slow on all Master songs. If I clicked no, Master would play with distortion. At the same time, YouTube would play with a faster tempo. This was on the V60TM T-Mobile variant. I switched to Verizon with the V60VM variant and there are no playback issues... everything sounds perfect.

So get it as long as you can return it if there are issues.
I'll only be using it with Netflix, Google, Amazon Prime, and Hulu. Hopefully it's simple. I'm very familiar with the Hiby app, as I use it with both of my daps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back