Which do you prefer? AAD, ADD, or DDD recordings?
Oct 11, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Living Stereo AAA sounds great too.

See ya
Steve

The Living Stereo LPs are awesome. Which brings me to my second quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Mike
I have yet to hear a better performance of Tchaikovsky's Violin in D Major than that conducted by Eugene Ormandy with David Oistrakh on strings.

Reiner/Heifetz on Living Stereo CD or XRCD is a great performance. Gives me goosebumps.

Oct 12, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer ADHD. But sometimes it plays fast, and the tracks get mixed-up, and um...look, a beetle!

580smile.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #20 of 30
Almost forgot: Lorin Maazel's recording of Ravel's "L'Enfant et les sortilèges" (recorded in November 1960, DG Originals) is really stunning.

Regards,

L.

Oct 12, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #21 of 30
That's one of my favorite Ravel recordings. I really like Dutoit's Daphnis et Chloe too.

See ya
Steve

Oct 13, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #23 of 30
defenately xrcd, xrcd2, aad, add and finally ddd. I rate xrcd, xrcd2 and aad cd's highest, being aad well recorded and they just sound better then the rest. Performance doesn't have anything to do with recording, the recording engeneer has to do it's best to make it sound best, even the performance is mediocre. If performance and recording are of the highest quality, yes, then it's better overall.

Remember the first ddd disk of brothers in arms from Dire Straits? We all know it sounds not really well, the xrcd of the same album is soo much better. It is a very notable difference. Some other xrcd's or xrcd2 cd's are way above any normal cd.

Oct 13, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The quality of the mastering makes a much bigger difference to the sound quality than the recording method ever will, in my experience at least. I've heard AAD recordings decimate DDD recordings and equally vice-versa.

Probably that's why all xrcd's or xrcd2 cd's sound much better. Better mastering technique. To bad not that much comes out but all i have are quite above the cd standard.

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Performance takes preference over AAD, ADD or DDD for me.

I have yet to hear a better performance of Tchaikovsky's Violin in D Major than that conducted by Eugene Ormandy with David Oistrakh on strings. it's AAD but it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the piece. Just did a tally of my classic CDs and most are ADD or AAD.

but I've got the AAA version. I've yet to hear an AAD that I preferred over the same recording issued on good vinyl, but I admit that I haven't heard THAT many side by side.

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
defenately xrcd, xrcd2, aad, add and finally ddd. I rate xrcd, xrcd2 and aad cd's highest, being aad well recorded and they just sound better then the rest. Performance doesn't have anything to do with recording, the recording engeneer has to do it's best to make it sound best, even the performance is mediocre. If performance and recording are of the highest quality, yes, then it's better overall.

Remember the first ddd disk of brothers in arms from Dire Straits? We all know it sounds not really well, the xrcd of the same album is soo much better. It is a very notable difference. Some other xrcd's or xrcd2 cd's are way above any normal cd.

I have a limited edition signed posted from Mark Knopfler. Cost me $75 at the concert, and $275 to frame it.
tongue.gif
I had no idea that album was available in XRCD. Wow, where can I get it? And does XRCD have to be played from a CD player, or can I rip it to a lossless file?

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #27 of 30
My bias is Analog Tape that was recorded back in the 60's/70's and the original masters have been revived to Digital in recent years with good techniques (something like MoFi or DCC).

Otherwise, as long as it sounds good, I'm happy!

Oct 14, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a limited edition signed posted from Mark Knopfler. Cost me $75 at the concert, and $275 to frame it.
tongue.gif
I had no idea that album was available in XRCD. Wow, where can I get it? And does XRCD have to be played from a CD player, or can I rip it to a lossless file?

The xrcd version sounds much better. xrcd's tend to be a bit pricey compared to regular cd's but they are without an exception quite a bit better.

Yes, you can rip it to flac, without any loss of quality. Xrcd's are cd standard but the mastering process is much, much better.

it seems it even gets onto xrcd2 version, wich should be even better then the xrcd.

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/75458

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...OMOBOX:ENDSOON

On ebay they are cheaper.

worth every penny, those xrcd's or xrcd2 cd's.

Oct 15, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #30 of 30
I ordered the Brothers in Arms XRCD. The place I ordered it from was 29.99, but then when I checked out the charged me over $11 for shipping!! I guess they are in the UK. Well, I had to have at least one XRCD in my collection.
smily_headphones1.gif

And I didn't feel bad about buying it, because it was one of the Dire Straits CDs that I did not own. I also don't have Making Movies, and someone must have taken my "On The Night" album. Oh, and I can't find the first album either. I don't know where it went.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back