Which DIY Cmoy is better: JDS or Tangent?
Nov 4, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 18
Humm...your not really comparing apples to apples.

JDS offers a kit of parts to buy that includes a circuit board.
Tangent is offering a set of instructions (for free) to build your own.

If you used the same parts in both CMoys, they should sound
pretty much the same.

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 18
Humm...your not really comparing apples to apples.

JDS offers a kit of parts to buy that includes a circuit board.
Tangent is offering a set of instructions (for free) to build your own.

If you used the same parts in both CMoys, they should sound
pretty much the same.

Aren't they different designs? The JDS has a bass boost for one.

Nov 5, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
Aren't they different designs? The JDS has a bass boost for one.

That's a feature, not a different design.  You can just as easily add a bass boost in Tangent's "version."

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 18
I'm biased, but the choice seems clear to me: do you want to do absolutely everything yourself, in true DIY fashion, or do you want some assistance?

I believe you learn more building the CMoy pocket amplifier my way, but obviously I also have nothing against projects based on professionally manufactured PCBs.

You simply pick the path that gives you what you want out of the project. If educational value is more important, you choose my path. If you're more interested in keeping the build time low, you pick the path that removes as many of the barriers as possible. If you're more interested in the final product than in the build process, I think it comes down to a personal judgement: do you prefer the raw perfboard build esthetic, or are you after something that approximates professionally manufactured electronics?

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #6 of 18
Definatly lots to be gained on the perfboard learning curve

you'll make mistakes and have frustrations but at the end it'll be all your own work and you'll understand it better
smile.gif

cheers
FRED

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:
Definatly lots to be gained on the perfboard learning curve

you'll make mistakes and have frustrations but at the end it'll be all your own work and you'll understand it better
smile.gif

cheers
FRED

Perfboard is definitely a learning curve.

I personally have a bit of trouble coming up with a really effective layout, putting the schematic in my mind into reality, so often have jumpers going everywhere and just sort of add things on here and there.
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
I'm biased, but the choice seems clear to me: do you want to do absolutely everything yourself, in true DIY fashion, or do you want some assistance?

I believe you learn more building the CMoy pocket amplifier my way, but obviously I also have nothing against projects based on professionally manufactured PCBs.

You simply pick the path that gives you what you want out of the project. If educational value is more important, you choose my path. If you're more interested in keeping the build time low, you pick the path that removes as many of the barriers as possible. If you're more interested in the final product than in the build process, I think it comes down to a personal judgement: do you prefer the raw perfboard build esthetic, or are you after something that approximates professionally manufactured electronics?

this is very good advice. the cmoy is a great learning experience. if thats what your going for, tangents site has some great info. his page on choosing coupling capacitor values is top notch. 
the cmoy is a great learners project due to its simplicity, and with research you can definitely get a good understanding of how the circuit operates. also, its a great project to get an understanding of how gain effects the sound.

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 18
I voted for JDS labs, even though its not better. Just easier to stuff a PCB than to build multiples of something on perfboard. 

If you want better build a Pimeta, Mini^3, or O2. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Actually, I'm finishing up my parts order on Newark based on your parts list.  What I want to do is, try different sets of caps and resistors on a breadboard till I find what I prefer, then solder it n a prefboard and find an original box/case for it. So I got all the parts you listed including the alternatives and optionals.  Fun times ahead!!!

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #11 of 18
Good choice

Quote:
Actually, I'm finishing up my parts order on Newark based on your parts list.  What I want to do is, try different sets of caps and resistors on a breadboard till I find what I prefer, then solder it n a prefboard and find an original box/case for it. So I got all the parts you listed including the alternatives and optionals.  Fun times ahead!!!

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #12 of 18
I Pmed the following to Tangent and he prefers (understandably) that I ask publicly 

Sorry to bother you but I wanted to ask a couple questions about your cmoy parts list and who better than you to answer them than Tangent himself!?! If you don't have time for this, just forget about it and I'll try to figure it out by myself.

First how come the Dip-8 socket is on  the optional list?

I'm having a hard time finding a DC power jack for this on Newark, could you recommend one? It's the only partI'm missing and I would hate getting it from Mouser and paying more shipping.

That is all for now but you'll probably see me on head-fi in the next couple of weeks asking a bunch of question...

Thanks for the help and your great website

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #13 of 18
Nov 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #14 of 18

Users who are viewing this thread

Back