Which desktop speaker for home office
Aug 17, 2008 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

wacomme

100+ Head-Fier
I'm seeking a home office desktop speaker. Currently I'm connecting my Mac G5 with iTunes via usb to a EMU 0404. This is connected to cheap Boston Acoustic powered speakers via a 3.5mm plug cable. I also have a headphone amp hookup from the EMU, but I rarely listen to headphones (despite the great sound), so I would like to improve the desktop speaker system. I'm considering buying the Trends TA-10 amp and connecting it to the EMU 0404 via Virtual Dynamic RCA interconnects (which I already own). I think this is a nice setup, but I'm open to other options.

My primary question is which speakers would be a good match for this system? I'd like to keep the price of the speakers under $300, and preferably under $200. I don't need big powerful speakers. I prefer small desktop speakers. My office office speakers are AudioEngine 2's sourced directly via my ipod nano, completely bypassing my office computer. However, for my home office with the availability of my computer as source and the EMU 0404 as a dac, I'm interested in non-powered speakers and a small amp.

Thank you.

Michael

Aug 17, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 16
Perhaps punt the EMU 404 and Trends and just get an Apogee Duet.

Test it with the Audio Engine A2, and if you like the sound combo (I do), just get another pair of A2 or A5.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 16
$300 is really about the limit if you are going to get the most out of the Trends and EMU. The KEF iQ1 used to be just over $300 but now with the dollar in its current condition they are closer to $400.

The nice thing about the KEF is the coaxial driver (tweeter sits dead center inside the woofer) lets you use a fairly big woofer without having to worry about phase issues. Due to the woofer and tweeter and woofer being too far apart relative to listening position (I'm assuming the speakers will be placed fairly nearfeild).

I'd suggest you take a look at whats being offered used on AudiogoN under the monitor section. Enthusiasts are always upgrading and usually the equipment is babied.

Aug 17, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 16
I'm also looking to step up to a better pair of speakers for my nearfield desktop listening.

At the moment, I'm running a little pair of Realistic Minimus 7 speakers off a Toshiba M15B mini amp.
For the tiny unmentionable pittance I paid, these things are quite surprising.
The sound from their Fostex main driver is quite detailed with astounding imaging once you've lined up your speakers and found the nearfield sweetspot angle.

Best of all they can be found easily any day on Ebay for $20- Just make sure to buy the good ones.

I'd easily recommend anyone looking for cheap nearfield speakers start with a pair of Minimus 7s.

They make a great starting point and sound good enough that between them and the Triad Audio monitors I switch them with my decision to upgrade has been a long and agonizing one.

If price was not an obstacle, I'd go for a pair of Role Kayaks or Harbeth monitors.
Next it'd be a pair of B&W 68x series...but then I'm having so much fun with headphones...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mshan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps punt the EMU 404 and Trends and just get an Apogee Duet.

Test it with the Audio Engine A2, and if you like the sound combo (I do), just get another pair of A2 or A5.
smily_headphones1.gif

An intriguing alternative, albeit a little expensive. It appears that powered speakers are necessary for the setup. In that respect, how do the AudioEngine A2's hold up sound-wise? Is the Duet that much better than the EMU 0404? An alternative is to use the EA 2's with the EMU 0404.

Michael

Aug 17, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 16
I would love to give those KEFs a whirl in my set-up.

Aug 17, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wacomme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info and links. In reality, I'm looking for something a little smaller in size.

Michael

Yeah, thats certainly a issue. The KEFs aren't too bad though in the size department for a 5 1/4 woofer, maybe take another look at them. I came really close to buying them myself before I decided to build my own.

Anything much smaller and you begin to make compromises, not to mention a complete lack of bass response (depending on what you listen to).

Aug 19, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #11 of 16
ive got the maudio av40s, theyre decent. haven't tried any of the other ones people are recommending so i dont really have any weight. just another thing to check out since im satisfied with them. they're powered and fairly small.

Aug 19, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #12 of 16
I recently bought a Trends TA-10.1 and some Bic Venturi DV62SI ($110 with free shipping at Amazon). I hooked it up from my computer and ran it through the Little Dot MK III as a preamp.

It literally brought tears to my eyes. I sat in total astonishment for hours that first day listening to song after song. You can't point to where the speakers are, rather it's a wall of sound in 3-D. Amazing.

Aug 19, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #14 of 16
Thank you for the speaker suggestions. They all sound like wonderful speakers. However, I'm seeking desktop speakers and all of the suggestions are bookshelf sized speakers. I don't have a large desk so I need something fairly small. Is there a quality non-powered speaker in a small package?

Michael

Aug 20, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wacomme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the speaker suggestions. They all sound like wonderful speakers. However, I'm seeking desktop speakers and all of the suggestions are bookshelf sized speakers. I don't have a large desk so I need something fairly small. Is there a quality non-powered speaker in a small package?

Michael

The Minimus 7s are truly desktop sized at around 8"x4"x4" and for nearfield use can be truly impressive...and for the price you can find them at on sites like Ebay you really can't go wrong. That three inch Fostex full range driver has something to prove.
minimus7_speakers.jpg

It'll certainly last you until you inevitably drop some bigger bucks on something superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back