Which dap's have folder browsing?
Jan 9, 2006 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wab

500+ Head-Fier
In my quest for a dap I noticed that not every player supports browsing by filetree / folder. My music collection is organized in folders (first artist, then albums). The id3 tags in my mp3's are not very consistent as I have never cared for that. So folder browsing is an absolute must for my new dap, which players support this?

Jan 9, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by wab
In my quest for a dap I noticed that not every player supports browsing by filetree / folder. My music collection is organized in folders (first artist, then albums). The id3 tags in my mp3's are not very consistent as I have never cared for that. So folder browsing is an absolute must for my new dap, which players support this?

All iAudio models

Jan 9, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 9
Specifically, the Muvo2 4gb, Muvo2 FM, Muvo N200, and Muvo only support folder browsing. The Muvo and Muvo N200 have limited folder support (not many folder levels). The Rio Carbon supports both tag and folder browsing (latest firmware).

The new Olympus WS-3XXM voice recorder/music player supports folders. This is a new full function digital voice recorder (very good) that plays mp3s and wmas. It has a built-in speaker, uses an AAA battery, has a built-in USB connector, and built-in stereo microphones. The sound quality is very good.

Jan 9, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 9
Makes a change, most people want DAPs that read tags.

With a tagging program, like 'Tag&Rename', you can run all your files through it and have perfect tags on them. A few months ago I ran about 200 albums through it in about an afternoon.
Having the right tags is the right way, file tree browsing is a temporary solution.

Jan 9, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Makes a change, most people want DAPs that read tags.

With a tagging program, like 'Tag&Rename', you can run all your files through it and have perfect tags on them. A few months ago I ran about 200 albums through it in about an afternoon.
Having the right tags is the right way, file tree browsing is a temporary solution.

To each his own. I prefer file tree also, seeing how I have over 12,000 songs all put into files and very few of them with consistent ID tags. I've had it this way for nearly a decade and I see no reason to have to convert my entire music collection just to support a DAP. When I buy a new DAP I'll be sure to look for one with file tree browsing also.
icon10.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
To each his own. I prefer file tree also, seeing how I have over 12,000 songs all put into files and very few of them with consistent ID tags. I've had it this way for nearly a decade and I see no reason to have to convert my entire music collection just to support a DAP. When I buy a new DAP I'll be sure to look for one with file tree browsing also.
icon10.gif

I'm much the same and find correcting all my tags a pain. Tags make browsing for classical pieces, tracks with multiple artists and compilations a pain, and in my experience as soon as you get your tagging sorted, you decide you want it tagged another way.

That said tags do give you a lot of extra capability in terms of automating play lists and song selection.

Jan 9, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 9
Tag programs automatically tag entire albums. Tag&Rename for example uses freedb, if its not in there you can use Amazon.com,.co.uk or .de

I love tagging, I find it soothing and a worthwhile one time effort, like proper ripping and encoding. Not much in this life is worth having free.

When your files are properly tagged you can just grab your whole collection and just drop it in your DAP. To save time everytime I rip something I check on T&R to see if EAC has done it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back