Which DAPs can hold 10gb+ and register as mass media storage devices?
Nov 27, 2004 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ooheadsoo

Headphoneus Supremus
I decided that to maximize efficiency, I should get a DAP that would also double as a portable hdd. Every time I find something that looks good to me (good price, good storage capability, good battery life) it has problems with registering as a mass media storage device without additional software required.

The Nomad Zens with capacity over 10 gigs won't do it afaik.
The iPods are too expensive.
The Rio Karma sounded great until I found out that it needed software.

It seems like the iPod is the only one that meets the functionality requirements I am searching for. Someone please tell me this isn't true!

Oh yeah, fitting in my pocket would be nice.

Nov 27, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 20
I think the Iriver units work that way.

Nov 27, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 20
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I want and need to keep my budget under that of an ipod on ebay, which is ~$240 for a 20gb unit on the low end. I simply can't justify spending more than that. I would happily drop down to 10 gigs. Actually, under $150 would be the best. I just want to be able to fit a few hours of songs and be able to lug a dvd around if need be.

Nov 27, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 20
hmm there might be no players that fit your description in your price range.

closest i can think of is probably the rio carbon but that's only five gigs. cheapest i've seen is $210 on amazon and with sales tax it'll be pretty damn close to $240.

Nov 27, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #9 of 20
Thanks for the ideas guys. According to some reviews I read, the dell dj can't act as a storage unit without installing software. If that's the case, I may just wimp out with a used rio karma which has the same issue.

I'll read up more on the archos, iaudio, and xclef. Any others?

Nov 27, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 20
For some dumb reason i feel like i should defend my Dell DJ. Indeed you do need to install software, but it's a real simply Windows Exploreresque type of program, it simply tells everybody when the CPU and Dell DJ are synched up what's going on. Certainly no big deal. Every one complains and gripes about the Dell DJ and music match. I don't know, i have a completely full 20GB Dell DJ and i have never used Music Match, i've never even started it up to see what it was all about. So when it says that the Dell needs software, think about it almost as a driver. It's not a big deal and won't requre any sort of dedication toward it.

Nov 27, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #11 of 20
Unfortunately, there are many situations in which installing drivers is not feasible. I have friends who don't want to install the driver. When I'm at work or school, I certainly don't have the user priveledges to install drivers.

I looked at the iaudio m3...unfortunately, the price seemed a bit out of reach, but I like the concept. I'll keep it in mind. I haven't been able to verify that it works with data files without drivers though. One review sounded like it could, the other sounded like you needed software.

Nov 27, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #12 of 20
iPod is worth the price.

Compare them to other DAPs which are considered high end (such as iRiver and the iAudio M3) iPod is around the same price anyhow.

And iRivers sound like mud anyhow.
icon10.gif

Nov 27, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I want and need to keep my budget under that of an ipod on ebay, which is ~$240 for a 20gb unit on the low end. I simply can't justify spending more than that. I would happily drop down to 10 gigs. Actually, under $150 would be the best. I just want to be able to fit a few hours of songs and be able to lug a dvd around if need be.

eBay shipping for iPods is insanecrazyomfg. I bought my iPod Mini at a local store, it was 249.95 + 20 tax, and it was still cheaper than buying it off of eBay would've been. I've seen shipping on little iPods on eBay as high as 50USD.

Edit: Ack, I double-posted! X.x

Nov 27, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #14 of 20
iPod - everything else is just wannabees!
smily_headphones1.gif

Seriously - it shows up as mass storage on both Windows and Macs, has the best software and is worth the money.

If your budget is $249, you could get the Mini iPod or drop the extra $50 for the 20G model. It really isn't that bad once you realize it's the best of the bunch and it does what it does really well.

Nov 27, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonadam
And last but not least Oprah likes it, and as anyone who works in a library will tell you, if Oprah likes it, then it must be good.

That's strange - last year she loved the iPod, this year it's the DJ - I wonder if Apple forgot to mail the payment to Oprah this year. Or maybe Dell paid a little more this year.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back