Which DAP has drive letter & file structure support?
Feb 25, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #16 of 25
Okay. I'm another vote for the iRiver H-120 or H-140. I think the fact that it has digital optical out and a remote might let you integrate it perfectly into your control system.

However, I think they are discontinued and hard/expensive to find...They can still be had on eBay. Right now the 120 is going for $250 to $350 and the 140 is often $400 to $500 US.

Good luck with what sounds like an interesting project, eh.

Feb 25, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackboot
Not a bad idea at all for my purpose...although the older Jukeboxes are really really ugly and old looking
blink.gif

Boy, you know how to hurt a guy. I still have one of these...three years and still going strong.
biggrin.gif

After reading what you will do with it (very cool), the older archos will not work as it still works through it's batteries even while on AC adapter (or any car power supply). The effect of this is that the batteries will go dead eventually even when it is plugged in as they cannot charge as fast as the power they give out.

This shouldn't be a problem with the more modern players with rapid charging and more evolved power systems...but make sure to double check on anything you get.

The iriver 120/140 is fine in this regard and will work on plug-in power indefinitely with no problem.

I have to admit that 20 gig seems a little light for your ambitious project....

Feb 25, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #18 of 25
the problem with the h120-140 is they're super expensive now

Feb 25, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #19 of 25
also the iaudio m3 is smaller than the 20g ipod (i held them side-by-side), has a metal case instead of plastic (yuck), and has the display on the remote (which for me is ideal as i use an amp all the time). support for it is great and with the latest firmware it plays virtually gapless (like 1/10 of a second gap). my only caveat would be format the drive when you get it in fat32 and apply the latest firmware.

Feb 26, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
also the iaudio m3 is smaller than the 20g ipod (i held them side-by-side), has a metal case instead of plastic (yuck), and has the display on the remote (which for me is ideal as i use an amp all the time). support for it is great and with the latest firmware it plays virtually gapless (like 1/10 of a second gap). my only caveat would be format the drive when you get it in fat32 and apply the latest firmware.

The Iaudio looks really nice and I'm now trying to decide between it and the Archos XS200.

Where are you people buying these things from? Any electronics store only has very sparse offerings aside from the Ipod. What online stores have a good selection of the more "rare" players such as the Iaudio M3 or the Archos XS200?

I kinda want to get the Iaudio M3 just because the car that I am using it in is a BMW M3
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #21 of 25
you can get the archos for $211 usd shipped in the US, but I can't tell you if they shipped to canada or not. Here's a size comparison of the archos to a deck of cards (Sorry for the bad quality, crappy camera etc...)
http://img194.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...eview104tq.jpg

Feb 26, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphling
you can get the archos for $211 usd shipped in the US, but I can't tell you if they shipped to canada or not. Here's a size comparison of the archos to a deck of cards (Sorry for the bad quality, crappy camera etc...)
http://img194.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...eview104tq.jpg

Where can you get the archos for $211 shipped in the US? I can ship to an American address...

Feb 26, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #23 of 25
Feb 26, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphling
http://www.buyxg.com/store/item.asp?key=MP-401-201
that's actually 210 shipped but I've never heard of the place so wouldn't exactly be my first choice

they raised the price at comp-u-plus http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage....pricewatch.com
but it's still 214 and I know they're reliable.

I'd do some research on xtremegear before ordering from there though.

Thanks for the link! I'd like to buy the archos since it is simple and does exactly what I'm looking for, although I would like the Iaudio M3 more because it is available in 40GB - but for double the price of the Archos....hrm....I suppose I could always buy 2 archos units
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #25 of 25
AFAIR the H1xx series don’t load power via USB. You would need the H3xx series for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back