Which DAC for my system?
Aug 16, 2008 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

raffy

100+ Head-Fier
I just got a nice NOS Melos SHA-1 to use w/ my Grado HP-1 (courtesy of Pendles) and now I am in the market for a DAC. I need USB connectivity since I will be feeding it from my non-mac laptop. I was considering the following:

1. Stello DA100 Signature - seems to be the most future proof due to balanced outputs
2. Stello DA100 Standard - heard one and liked it but it was paired w/ a Zana Deux which is a very very capable amp
3. MHDT Paradisea+ - no experience
4. MHDT Havana - no experience

I was trying to keep it in the $600 range but it seems like I will probably go over which if justifiably, I will be willing to do. Can someone tell me what the pros/cons of a non-oversampling DAC is such as the MHDT products? I want to get something that is highly musical over something that is analytic. Open to other suggestions too! Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 10
You can snag a Creative Audigy 2ZS for notebooks, I've seen as low as $50. You would no longer be limited to a USB dac. If you budget can stretch a bit, you might be able to find a used Benchmark DAC1 (non-usb) for a good price or maybe a Lavry DA10.

On the other hand, the Stello DA100 Signature is a good DAC for the money. But you know its only a little bit more to go first-class. You know, sorry about your wallet. Also, sorry I can't speak to the oversampling/non-oversampling question.

Aug 16, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 10
In general,
NOS=more musical
OS = more resolving and detailed

There are a couple threads here discussing the Paradisea and the Stellos. I suggest reading those because these topics are discussed.

Aug 17, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 10
I'd definately check out the DAC1 or DAC1 USB if you need USB functionality. They make a fantastic DAC and its in your price range (at least the regular DAC1).

Aug 17, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKHAVEN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd definately check out the DAC1 or DAC1 USB if you need USB functionality. They make a fantastic DAC and its in your price range (at least the regular DAC1).

Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can snag a Creative Audigy 2ZS for notebooks, I've seen as low as $50. You would no longer be limited to a USB dac. If you budget can stretch a bit, you might be able to find a used Benchmark DAC1 (non-usb) for a good price or maybe a Lavry DA10.

On the other hand, the Stello DA100 Signature is a good DAC for the money. But you know its only a little bit more to go first-class. You know, sorry about your wallet. Also, sorry I can't speak to the oversampling/non-oversampling question.

Would it be sonically sound if I use a Creative Audigy 2ZS for my laptop so that I can get a SPDIF out or will I lose some SQ if I go this route? That way like compuryan suggested I am not limited to USB dacs.

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 10
DAC1 is not a good choice for pc although it has a usb input, cos it would be dry and harsh when either the digital signal or power supply is not good
Aprogee mini-dac would be better cos it is warmer which can cancel out the poorness of PC digital output. and it is cheaper
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kendal3334 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAC1 is not a good choice for pc although it has a usb input, cos it would be dry and harsh when either the digital signal or power supply is not good
Aprogee mini-dac would be better cos it is warmer which can cancel out the poorness of PC digital output. and it is cheaper
smily_headphones1.gif

I respectfully disagree with your reasoning. I agree that the DAC1 is analytical and on the colder side, but I wouldn't call it dry and harsh, for one thing. Second, how exactly do you believe the mini-dac would cancel out the poorness of th PC digital output, where the DAC1 won't. Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense, mate.

Aug 21, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by raffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a nice NOS Melos SHA-1 to use w/ my Grado HP-1 (courtesy of Pendles) and now I am in the market for a DAC. I need USB connectivity since I will be feeding it from my non-mac laptop. I was considering the following:

1. Stello DA100 Signature - seems to be the most future proof due to balanced outputs
2. Stello DA100 Standard - heard one and liked it but it was paired w/ a Zana Deux which is a very very capable amp
3. MHDT Paradisea+ - no experience
4. MHDT Havana - no experience

I was trying to keep it in the $600 range but it seems like I will probably go over which if justifiably, I will be willing to do. Can someone tell me what the pros/cons of a non-oversampling DAC is such as the MHDT products? I want to get something that is highly musical over something that is analytic. Open to other suggestions too! Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

i have had the melos sha-1 and paradisea at different times and currently have a stello da-100 sig. i would say the sha-1 would be better matched with the extra details from the stello da100 sig, eventhough the paradisea is one damn good dac!

Aug 25, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKHAVEN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I respectfully disagree with your reasoning. I agree that the DAC1 is analytical and on the colder side, but I wouldn't call it dry and harsh, for one thing. Second, how exactly do you believe the mini-dac would cancel out the poorness of th PC digital output, where the DAC1 won't. Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense, mate.

sorry, i should say, mini-dac doesn't cancel out the poorness, but since it sounds warmer, it is better for pc. As what i heard from many pc, their digital output though usb or firewire output are not good as coaxial from CDP, i think it may because of more jitter are coming from pc. these poorness sounds dry and harsh. DAC1 trustily gives what it receives, so it becomes dry and harsh. mini-dac then warm it and gives a better output

DAC1 is better than mini-dac for CDP, but im feeling mini-dac is a better choice for pc-hifi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back