Which DAC for BHSE
May 13, 2020 at 10:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

donald123

New Head-Fier
Dear All

This question was asked before, maybe more than one time.

Yet I have to ask it again as I would like to dig deeper, and time has passed and something new has emerged.

For BHSE, many recommended Chord Hugo 2. Since BHSE is an amplifier already, if we have a Hugo 2, what we have to be concern is only the DAC function and DAC chip. Assuming I only use a 3.5mm to RCA, Hugo 2 and Mojo would be the same as both Hugo 2 and Mojo have the same DAC chip.Is my understanding correct?

And I now use ibasso DX200 as the source, and it has DAC chip already. If I would like to upgrade, what should I get?

Thanks a lot

May 13, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 11
I probably wouldn't recommend the Hugo2 as if I hear any complaint about the Hugo2 and the BHSE is that they both can be a bit fast and thin. Can you give some more details about your setup?

1) What headphones are you using with BHSE?
2) What budget are you thinking?
3) If you could alter the existing sound, what would you like?

As for your Hugo2/Mojo Questions:

1) Is the DAC in Hugo2 and Mojo the same? Short answer is NO. They both have the same basic architecture/technology. But in Chord terms, Mojo has ~26k taps and Hugo2 has around ~49k taps. As to what this means for sound as well as other differences, it will be personal

2) 3.5M to RCA: On the Mojo, you can only go headphone jack to RCA. On the Hugo2, it has RCA jacks so you would go RCA to RCA or headphone jack to RCA. Personally I would go RCA to RCA on Hugo2. I guess key difference is that RCA out gives you line level output. Headphone jack will give you volume controllable amplification.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 11
I probably wouldn't recommend the Hugo2 as if I hear any complaint about the Hugo2 and the BHSE is that they both can be a bit fast and thin. Can you give some more details about your setup?

1) What headphones are you using with BHSE?
2) What budget are you thinking?
3) If you could alter the existing sound, what would you like?

As for your Hugo2/Mojo Questions:

1) Is the DAC in Hugo2 and Mojo the same? Short answer is NO. They both have the same basic architecture/technology. But in Chord terms, Mojo has ~26k taps and Hugo2 has around ~49k taps. As to what this means for sound as well as other differences, it will be personal

2) 3.5M to RCA: On the Mojo, you can only go headphone jack to RCA. On the Hugo2, it has RCA jacks so you would go RCA to RCA or headphone jack to RCA. Personally I would go RCA to RCA on Hugo2. I guess key difference is that RCA out gives you line level output. Headphone jack will give you volume controllable amplification.
Thanks for the comments.

1. I am currently using a Stax SR-009 with my BHSE.
2. I am thinking about US$1,500, and I will also consider second hand DAC.
3. As for sound, I am not thinking about tuning, but rather to upgrade the sound in general.

And I use a 2.5mm and 3.5mm out from my ibasso DX200 to XLR in to the BHSE.

Apart from the DAC, recommendation/suggestion for upgrade/change in other parts would also be welcome.

Thanks again.

May 15, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 11
For that price range, I would say the Matrix X-Sabre Pro if you want a more analytical sound.

The Schiit Gungnir Multibit if you want a more musical sound.

The Dangerous Convert-2 if you want a more dynamic sound.

May 19, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 11
The Hugo 2 is a great pairing with the BHSE. Imo the BH is very neutral and transparent, so the lush/euphoric nature of the Hugo 2 seems to pair well while still retaining the transparency the BHSE provides. I would probably stay away from DACs that many classify as lean or too analytical, I just wouldn't see them pairing as well.

May 21, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 11
The Hugo 2 is a great pairing with the BHSE. Imo the BH is very neutral and transparent, so the lush/euphoric nature of the Hugo 2 seems to pair well while still retaining the transparency the BHSE provides. I would probably stay away from DACs that many classify as lean or too analytical, I just wouldn't see them pairing as well.

I don’t have a Hugo 2. But I do have the original Hugo and read lots of comments on the Hugo 2. I dont feel the Hugo is lush/euphoric. In fact it seems to lean towards the airy, transparent, crisp side. Based on my reading of Hugo 2 comments, they also seem to lean in the same direction as the Hugo.

May 21, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 11
I don’t have a Hugo 2. But I do have the original Hugo and read lots of comments on the Hugo 2. I dont feel the Hugo is lush/euphoric. In fact it seems to lean towards the airy, transparent, crisp side. Based on my reading of Hugo 2 comments, they also seem to lean in the same direction as the Hugo.

It's definitely airy, detailed and transparent. But it's also very full bodied and not anything I would describe as bright or analytical (maybe "lush" is too far).. I too read a lot of comments as I look at the TT2 and Dave as potential upgrades, and I'm leaning towards the TT2 as it seems like it improves on the full bodied, slight warmth/neutrality sound even more vs. the latter sounding somewhat thin in comparison. But at the end of the day nothing will substitute what you hear through your ears. Try whatever you're interested in.

But I'd maintain again that the BHSE probably doesn't pair well with anything that is more analytical, lean or thin unless that's just really your thing. It would be a different story with the Woo Wes which is more tube like in nature with a more rich, naturally lush sound.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #11 of 11
Brooklyn DAC+

It's around 2000 euros but it's a beautiful build with great sound, great UI and display, and glitchless MQA support.

RME ADI-2 DAC FS if you don't need MQA and want parametric EQ. Build is not nearly as nice but great sound and a great value. Spend the extra 500 bucks on something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back