Which DAC for Airport Express?
Apr 18, 2005 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sclemmons

100+ Head-Fier
Benchmark DAC 1, Bel Canto DAC 2, Apogee, Wavelength?

Something in the 1000 range, more or less. My preamp is RCA not balanced.
My CD player won't work with an external DAC, so this is just for AEX. Maybe DVD or something later. I had a Bel Canto once and liked it. Should I go back there or do something else?

Thanks. skip

Apr 18, 2005 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 16
Well, if *any* of the *many* here with a Bel Canto DAC2 could finally get themselves around to just borrow an APX from a friend or store you would know. You want a DAC that you can easily return if it is too slow syncing with the APX signal (the "first second dropped" syndrome). Nobody up to know was able to tell me whether the DAC2 is fast enough, but admittedly I failed to inquire at Bel Canto directly since I currently lack the funds for the unit. And since that thingy is hard to come by here anyway I am not going to import it to be the first one to test how it works with the APX, sorry.

Apr 18, 2005 at 10:54 AM Post #3 of 16
an alternative is the Musical Fidelity A324. In this review: http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/d...2-mf-a324.html, it rated well against the bel canto dac2, and since Musical Fidelity has come out with newer models since, you can find them cheaper used.

I have one, and while i've only had a chance to compare it against a meridian, i say it has really opened my eyes to how important a source is, and of course i think it's very good.

Apr 19, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 16
I second the recommendation for the Musical Fidelity A3.24. I picked up one for about 570 on audiogon, so its significantly cheaper than the bel canto 2 and if i recall correctly, every review i've read matches them equally. I use mine with an airport express and my toshiba 3950 dvd player and it has been a SIGNIFICANT upgrade. I definitely recommend it.

Apr 20, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 16
Personally, I've disliked all the MF gear I've heard, including their X-Ray and A5 cdps and amps, and the Tri-Vista DAC. Much happier with my Bel Canto.

YMMV, but I can't for the life of me understand why it's so popular in the States and Stereofool.

Apr 20, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP
Personally, I've disliked all the MF gear I've heard...

Evidently MF has a distinctive house sound...if you don't like it, you don't like it. I compared my Rotel DAC with a Musical Fidelity X-Ray (similar to their X-DACv3) and thought the MF was a noticable step above my Rotel.

At a meet I was able to A-B a Bel Canto DAC2 and a Benchmark...they sound almost identical, but I thought the DAC2 edged out the Benchmark by an extremely small margin, again this is largely a matter of taste.

What kind of music do you like, and how do you like your sound...lush & euphonic? Detailed & precise? PRaTty & boogie-fied? That would help give you a better recommendation.

Apr 23, 2005 at 1:17 PM Post #7 of 16
I recently debated this exact same question, and went with the Musical Fidelity x-Dac v3. They have a special right now, $1200 for the x-Dac, x-PSU, and x-10. The x-10 is a tube stage buffer. I also bought the x-Can headphone amp for my 600s.

The x-dac is the only Muscial Fidelity dac currently available. I read a rumor that they may be coming out with a new one, and that would explain the sale.

I didn't have the opportunity to demo different dacs, but considered the Bel Canto. Since I was buying blind, the x-dac system won out on looks (brushed steel faceplates) and the sale package. Soundwise it's a massive improvement over the Airport Express internal dac.

The x-Dac has zero sync problems with the Airport Express. I only wish that I could say the same about WIFI!

Apr 23, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 16
How much better / different does the Bel Canto DAC 2 sound vs. the original Bel Canto Dac 1.0?

Also would be interested to know how the Cal Audio Alpha stacks up against the above.

Apr 23, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #9 of 16
"How much better / different does the Bel Canto DAC 2 sound vs. the original Bel Canto Dac 1.0?"

I had the 1.0 and upgraded it to the 1.1. The 2.0 is completely redesigned according to the company. I think they collaborated with some Wadia people after that company hit the wall. The 2.0 foregoes the polarity switch in favor of a switch between two inputs. I think it is a big step up based on my research into people who have used both. I had the 1.1 and the cost to upgrade it to the DAC2 is $700 or so. I am sold on the Bel Canto I think.

Query: Has anybody used this DAC with Airport Express? Should I be worried about any problem? Or do you think it will work well with the Toslink since COAX is not an option.

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by litewarp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second the recommendation for the Musical Fidelity A3.24. I picked up one for about 570 on audiogon, so its significantly cheaper than the bel canto 2 and if i recall correctly, every review i've read matches them equally. I use mine with an airport express and my toshiba 3950 dvd player and it has been a SIGNIFICANT upgrade. I definitely recommend it.

Any sync / lock issues between songs with the musical fidelity and the AE ?

thx

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone had sync issues with AE in years?

I have never had one, and have been using an AirPort Express with two different external DAC's for 2 1/2 years.
Either I have been happy or its a non-issue..

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 16
I'm currently listening to an AE plugged into a Zero Dac for my office nearfield set-up and it does the old missing first second of the song with the occasional dropout in the middle of a song.

I have another in the living room that is plugged into my TEAC Home Theatre amp and operates with no problems.

Anyone tried the AE plugged into a Cambridge Audio 840C?

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #14 of 16
I'm currently listening to an AE plugged into a Zero Dac for my office nearfield set-up and it does the old missing first second of the song with the occasional dropout in the middle of a song.

I have another in the living room that is plugged into my TEAC Home Theatre amp and operates with no problems.

Anyone tried the AE plugged into a Cambridge Audio 840C?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back