Which DAC/Amp should I buy for use with monitors?
Apr 24, 2012 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

alv4426

Headphoneus Supremus
OK so after almost 1.5 years on HeadFi I have finally been stumped on finding an answer by just looking through threads and googling since there is a lot of info and not much comparisons. I recently sold/gave away my tried and true listening station which was my Onkyo receiver, passive Klipsch speakers, my LD MKiii, and my DT880.To replace them I bought a pair of KRK Rokit 6 and just ordered some RS2i. What I need now is whatever my best option is for a DAC/Amp that can control the volume of the speakers using XLR connections, has a decent headphone amp, and has at least one toslink input (2 would be best). My budget is around $650 but would definitely prefer to keep it lower than that and new is preferred but if some perfect choice is only in budget if used Id go for it.

I have read up on the following
Matrix Mini-i
DACMagic Plus
Asus Essence One
Audio gd  NFB-10SE 
and a few others

I don't have any high impedance cans right now and don't really have any plans to get any (if I don't like the RS2i Ill probably get Audio Technica woodies). Ive read that most of my choices above are made for high impedance cans what types of issues would arise from using my cans and maybe IEMs on them?

The 2 things that will be connected to the DAC are my computer (has toslink out) and a PS3 (will use the toslink out); so for a DAC with only one toslink input would it be better to use USB out from the computer or get a Toslink switch?

I prefer bright sound signatures but wouldn't mind anything really as long as bass is not really over emphasized. 

Would it be better to get an amp and DAC separately? Is that even possible for my application? And what other choices are there? Im guessing that all the DACs with NO variable volume control have to use something like the TC Electronics Level Pilot but is there a cheaper alternative to this?
Thank you all and I promise to wait at least another year to start another thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back