Which DAC/Amp do you think I would benefit from?
May 25, 2009 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

aBc.CaN

100+ Head-Fier
I definately think I need your help with deciding whether I would benefit from a DAC/Amp. It seems like the HeadAmp Pico is the best from what I've read, but I feel like I would be wasting my money on something I might not fully appreciate.

I think the FiiO sounds good (though it's a little muddy). I'm waiting for the Cowon D3 to upgrade my source.

I heard the Ultrasone 9 -> through what looked like a Tomahawk -> ipod, a while back and thought voices sounded amazing to me. Though overall I wasn't that impressed. I think there was something wrong with my hearing that day for that to happen, but that was my impression at the time. So what I guess I'm trying to say is that I don't seem to appreciate fantastic sound?

Simply put I love bass foremost (60%), and soundstage and details secondary (40%). I replaced the beautiful bass in my Klipsch X10 to recover some soundstange and details.

I use a IBM T61 laptop, SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio, connected to Creative Inspire T3200 2.1 speakers - 80 SNR, 29 watts total. I watch a lot of movies, secondary function is music listening, I don't play games.

What DAC/Amp do you think would be right for me?

May 25, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 6
Go with what you think is best
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 6
totally agree with iriverdude here; no wonder you dont appreciate good sound when you are using those speakers dude; IMO before yo do anything to try and squeeze more performance out of your set-up; trash those speakers and get something decent so you can hear the difference

May 26, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 6
thanks for the replies so far.

I guess it would be worth it to buy new speakers. These are my father's. I haven't thought of it because I am working in Singapore, away from home, and will leave in 1.5years.

May 27, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #6 of 6
I'm convinced that I would benefit greatly, and enjoy them greatly, from new speakers. I've done the research so will settle with either some Swans, M-audio, Aego, etc, depending on availability in Singapore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back