Which Crossfeed Do You Prefer?
Mar 18, 2002 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

rawhit

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks,
would be great if you give some opinion on your preference of crossfeed.
I have read so many posts here but the comments regarding crossfeed have been diverse. I personally have listened to only software crossfeed (Dolby Headphone) and liked it very much. It makes the sound so much more natural and creates a wide out of head soundstage. Ofcourse all this is IMHO
Thanx for your time.
RawHit

Mar 19, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 17
I was going to vote "no crossfeed" but until I recently heard the MOH's (headroom's) version, I picked them.
I was really impressed with it.
I have an amp with x-feed that mirrors Jan's design and I really don't care for it too much.
It is not horrible mind you just that I'm so used to listening with music through headphones that I don't get the bad effects that x-feed fixes.
But again after hearing the one in the MOH I might be a convert.
biggrin.gif

Now all I need is a MOH. (or Max, or Blockhead
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Mar 19, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 17
I've got the Porta Corda (with Jan Meier natural crossfeed), CMoy with Jan Meier enhanced bass crossfeed, Maxed Out Home and Total Airhead with Headroom crossfeed.

My first preference is no crossfeed. While the spatial effect is pleasant, the tonal effect is too severe and deleterious, and outweighs the slight spatial benefit.

Of the two crossfeeds, I prefer Jan Meier's - particularly the enhanced bass. It may be more "low tech" than Headroom's but it interferes less with the natural tonality of the music.

Ross

Mar 20, 2002 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 17
I've heard the Meier Natural crossfeed (Corda and DIY) as well as the Modified Linkwitz crossfeed (DIY). I like them both quite well, and thought they were fairly similar sounding. I also like the Sennheiser DSP 360's surround sound affect for movies. I guess I don't really use headphones without some sort of crossfeed processing these days. I can't wait to hear the Headroom crossfeed when they come on their tour, and I'm also very interested in Dolby headphone. Headphone listening without crossfeed sounds very unnatural to me now, but I could live without it if I had to.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2002 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 17
Yes, it is.

Mar 20, 2002 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 17
You really need to hear the one in the new MOH.
I was prepared to hate it but with the new filters the sound was surprisingly good.

Mar 20, 2002 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 17
The crossfeed in the 2002 MOHR is very impressive, I use it all the time, very dramatic improvement that you don't have to strain to hear. It does noticeably increase the lower mid/bass so I use bright position (middle) on filter for Senn 600/Clou red. Much better spatial effect when cossfeed is used.

The Corda actually sounds noticeably better with no crossfeed, more detailed and more 3D with no crossfeed. I notice this effect on all music I play with Corda. Of course the Corda sounds great with no crossfeed, so its no big deal.

Mar 20, 2002 at 3:48 AM Post #10 of 17
i've used my Headroom Home off and on since getting it in '97. i just assumed that crossfeed made sense; the theory just made sense to me. every now again, i put on 'abbey road', and switch crossfeed off and on. without crossfeed, it's impossible to listen to. granted, this is a good (or bad, depending) example of '60's stereo. it made a believer out of me.

toodles,
robert

Mar 20, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 17
I prefer no crossfeed if the recording is made with minimal mic techniques. The only times I use crossfeed is when a recording is of the ping-pong variety (ie. some early stereo recordings or multi-mic abominations).

Mar 20, 2002 at 6:51 AM Post #12 of 17
I love the effect of the Corda crossfeed when listening to orchestral works. When listening to a symphony without any crossfeed, I feel the double-basses and cellos that are mostly in the right channel to stand out more than they should, particularly in long sustained chords by the entire string section, for example; it's quite irritating at times. I feel like there's a double bass buzzing in my right ear... Not the greatest feeling.
With the Meier crossfeed, the cello/bass section blends in SO much better with the overall fabric of the orchestra. It now forms a part of the colour the composer intended to create, instead of a totally separate entity that draws attention away from the music itself. I'm listening through HD600, by the way.
I think this is partly why people feel like there's a bass reduction with the Meier crossfeed. It makes bass less noticeable, which to me, is more natural. When you listen to a symphony live in a concert hall, your attention usually isn't drawn specifically to the bass section, unless the composer wrote it that way.

On the other hand, I don't feel any need for crossfeed when listening to chamber music.

I'm not going to vote because I haven't heard any other crossfeed circuits.

Mar 20, 2002 at 4:33 PM Post #13 of 17
I am building a DIY corda circuit on protoboard and wanted to know more about crossfeed to put in my amp. But I guess for DIY amps Corda's natural crossfeed and enhanced bass crossfeed seem to be the only option as it is simple to implement.
Was looking at Headroom )More Static also. At $ 600
redface.gif
is way above my budget.
Is this processor same as the one in headroom amps? Also unlike Corda crossfeed its not a passive component (ie requires power supply)
cheers
RawHit

Mar 20, 2002 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 17
If I have crossfeed available, I'll use it, and the sound, for me, is noticeably worse without crossfeed --- once you're used to crossfeed, the discreteness of regular headphone listening is quite obvious.

I haven't heard the Corda crossfeed, but have heard Dolby Headphone. For me, DH is the world's greatest simulation of a shoebox. The sound is cardboardy, overprocessed, and boxy.

--Andre

Mar 20, 2002 at 5:28 PM Post #15 of 17
I haven't listened to much crossfeed, but from what I have heard I like no crossfeed better. I've heard an airhead and and old TA and preferred both without the crossfeed though I am sure that higher end amps like the MAX would have much better crossfeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back