Which connector is best?
Jul 4, 2021 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

EdgeOfSound

Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to the IEM game and noticed that there's a whole bunch of different connectors being used on the IEMs e.g. MMCX, 0.78mm 2 pin, QDC etc. Why are there so many different connectors? Which is the most popular at the moment? The different formats all seem to be widely used and after looking at product releases I'm not sure there any pattern to say that the manufacturers are converging on one.

Jul 4, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 11
Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to the IEM game and noticed that there's a whole bunch of different connectors being used on the IEMs e.g. MMCX, 0.78mm 2 pin, QDC etc. Why are there so many different connectors? Which is the most popular at the moment? The different formats all seem to be widely used and after looking at product releases I'm not sure there any pattern to say that the manufacturers are converging on one.

MMCX and 2 pin are the commonest for the budget/midfi segment.

MMCX is kinda universal, and there's only one way to connect it (compared to 2 pin connectors which some folks may connect in the wrong way and reverse the polarity, resulting in an out of phase music). However, MMCX comes in various quality, from cheap lousy types to more expensive premium connectors. A lot of us face issues with cheap MMCX connectors in that they become too loose with repeated cable changing. As a result, the IEM starts spinning like a windvane after repeated changes sometimes, and sound cuts out or the IEM drops out of the cable. Hence for MMCX type IEMs, it is recommended to not change cables too often, just leave a preferred cable on and call it a day.

2 Pin types are more robust in my experience. However, there are a myriad different types of 2 pin connectors out there - angled versus straight, QDC types, 0.75 mm versus 0.78 mm, recessed versus protruding, etc. So some aftermarket 2 pin cables may not be compatible with the IEM in question. And as mentioned, sometimes some folks may connect their 2 pin cables wrongly and reverse the polarity, causing phasing issues. I've also had a friend snap off a 2 pin cable inside the IEM housing, but that was his fault, he sat on it.

But if I were offered the same IEM with both 2 pin and MMCX variants, I'll take the 2 pin one any day. I've had many issues with MMCX type IEMs so far in my IEM journey.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #3 of 11
MMCX and 2 pin are the commonest for the budget/midfi segment.

MMCX is kinda universal, and there's only one way to connect it (compared to 2 pin connectors which some folks may connect in the wrong way and reverse the polarity, resulting in an out of phase music). However, MMCX comes in various quality, from cheap lousy types to more expensive premium connectors. A lot of us face issues with cheap MMCX connectors in that they become too loose with repeated cable changing. As a result, the IEM starts spinning like a windvane after repeated changes sometimes, and sound cuts out or the IEM drops out of the cable. Hence for MMC type IEMs, it is recommended to not change cables too often, just leave a preferred cable on and call it a day.

2 Pin types are more robust in my experience. However, there are a myriad different types of 2 pin connectors out there - angled versus straight, QDC types, 0.75 mm versus 0.78 mm, recessed versus protruding, etc. So some aftermarket 2 pin cables may not be compatible with the IEM in question. And as mentioned, sometimes some folks may connect their 2 pin cables wrongly and reverse the polarity, causing phasing issues. I've also had a friend snap off a 2 pin cable inside the IEM housing, but that was his fault, he sat on it.

But if I were offered the same IEM with both 2 pin and MMCX variants, I'll take the 2 pin one any day. I've had many issues with MMCX type IEMs so far in my IEM journey.
I did think the 2 pin design would be better but it seems mid to high end IEMs are mostly using MMCX which is interesting.

Jul 4, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #4 of 11
I did think the 2 pin design would be better but it seems mid to high end IEMs are mostly using MMCX which is interesting.

As discussed, there are different price ranges for MMCX connectors, from cheap lousy ones to higher quality ones that are more expensive.

In general, the higher end MMCX IEMs that I've tried seem to use better MMCX quality connectors, but quite a number of budget segment MMCX types have issues with frequent cable changing eg Urbanfun, Tin HIFI. They may cut costs in this area I suppose.

Jul 4, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #5 of 11
As discussed, there are different price ranges for MMCX connectors, from cheap lousy ones to higher quality ones that are more expensive.

In general, the higher end MMCX IEMs that I've tried seem to use better MMCX quality connectors, but quite a number of budget segment MMCX types have issues with frequent cable changing eg Urbanfun, Tin HIFI. They may cut costs in this area I suppose.
I see. Thanks for the tip and insight.

Jul 4, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 11
Gonna be tough to get advice that you can "take to the bank"...as with everything else in this cursed hobby, it's so subjective, and personal anecdotes are gonna rule how you feel about one or the other.

IME, 2-pin, especially flat socketed, is fragile as ****. I have broken pins on the cable side, and likewise have "bored-out" the pin holes on the ear piece side. 🤷‍♂️ Whereas, never had an issue with MMCX, and that includes 6+ years with the Sony XBA-Z5 which had a horrible reputation for temperamental MMCX sockets. Go figure.

I'd worry most about the IEM you're purchasing. Who makes it? Do they have a rep for actually caring about build quality overall? Does the seller take care of its customers post-sale, or do they wash their hands of you once they have your money? I'd focus on those kinds of things.

Jul 5, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #7 of 11
Gonna be tough to get advice that you can "take to the bank"...as with everything else in this cursed hobby, it's so subjective, and personal anecdotes are gonna rule how you feel about one or the other.

IME, 2-pin, especially flat socketed, is fragile as ****. I have broken pins on the cable side, and likewise have "bored-out" the pin holes on the ear piece side. 🤷‍♂️ Whereas, never had an issue with MMCX, and that includes 6+ years with the Sony XBA-Z5 which had a horrible reputation for temperamental MMCX sockets. Go figure.

I'd worry most about the IEM you're purchasing. Who makes it? Do they have a rep for actually caring about build quality overall? Does the seller take care of its customers post-sale, or do they wash their hands of you once they have your money? I'd focus on those kinds of things.
I think the next IEM I get will be the Fiio FH5s. or something around that price range. I got the TRN MT1 (to see what a budget IEM sounded like) and a pair of TFZ My Love Edition for the wife (which already sounds way better than the MT1). But I would like something a bit higher end to go with my Beyer DT1990 and Fidelio X3.

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #8 of 11
MMCX is kinda universal, and there's only one way to connect it (compared to 2 pin connectors which some folks may connect in the wrong way and reverse the polarity, resulting in an out of phase music).
How can I undestand if I connect 2 pin connectors in the wrong way?
No music?
Bad Quality?
Any potential damage to IEM?

How ti be sure to connect them in the proper way?

Thanks

Feb 25, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #9 of 11
How can I undestand if I connect 2 pin connectors in the wrong way?
No music?
Bad Quality?
Any potential damage to IEM?

How ti be sure to connect them in the proper way?

Thanks

If you reverse one side of the 2 pin connector, you will invert the polarity and music will be out of phase. It won't damage the IEM, but music sounds weird, as though it were coming from behind the ears.

You can use this youtube link to see if the music is in phase (correct polarity):

If it is out of phase, just reverse ONE side of the cable and you will be back in phase.

Feb 25, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #10 of 11
If you reverse one side of the 2 pin connector, you will invert the polarity and music will be out of phase. It won't damage the IEM, but music sounds weird, as though it were coming from behind the ears.

You can use this youtube link to see if the music is in phase (correct polarity):

If it is out of phase, just reverse ONE side of the cable and you will be back in phase.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back