Which CD player's DAC is better - BurrBrown 1791ADBR or Wolfson?
Dec 29, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #16 of 24

yage,
You see, I am intending to buy CD player via US Amazon (as you have the lowest prices there on the audio components) and ship it with the help of third party (Shipito). The shipping expenses are quite high (about 50% of the equipment price, in my case), so I would waste my time, money and nerves if I rely on the return policy too much :frowning2:

I can certainly understand. I have a colleague at work from Brazil and after talking with him I've learned that just about *everything* is much more expensive there than in the US. It's sometimes cheaper to fly to the US and purchase items here and fly back than it is to just buy from a local Brazilian store. Hopefully everything works out well for you.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #17 of 24
project86,
I would like to hope so :)

yage,
Thank you!
When I decide to buy hi-end speaker system components (probably in 10-15 years :D), I will definitely fly/go by ship to US to save my money!

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #18 of 24
Have bought Onkyo C-7030.
Will test it on the holidays (April).

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #20 of 24
The Onkyo may simply be a re-badged Phillips. Nothing wrong with that, but most commercial CD players are very average. I'd be more concerned whether or not it has a digital output because then, at least, you could buy a better DAC to use with it in the future. Of course, you may be happy with the sound of it as it is, which would be good. 
smile.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #21 of 24
[b]Claritas[/b],

I am intending to use both (not simultaneously, of course
biggrin.gif
)
I will drive headphones from the jack or from RCAs through this interconnect to the E7 and then to the headphones

At the moment I am not using CDP (it is in a different country) - in order not to have any temptations of wasting my time on music when I need to study. But anyway, I find a way of wasting my time and not studying.
tongue_smile.gif

The interconnect is quite good, yet cheap by the way.

[b]Currawong[/b],

It has digital outputs, no worries here (Optical and coaxial).
And I was already thinking which DAC would outdo single WM8718
(Yes, I finally know which chip they are using in 7030!!!, although they didn't want to tell me that in a privete letter due to "internal reasons")

By the way, as I didn't have neither interconnects, nor 6,3 to 3,5mm adapter with me at the moment I received my Onkyo, I have tested it in a very uncommon way:
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #22 of 24
  Way too many generalities here. "Wolfson" is not a specific DAC - rather it is a manufacturer of many DAC chips, ranging from low end (ie intended for mass quantity, affordable devices) to high end (plenty of expensive "audiophile" gear uses 1 or 2 of their WM874x chips). The PCM1791 is among the top of the TI/Burr Brown range. It isn't all that commonly used, but Naim chose it for their V1 DAC - I'm sure they could have used any chip they wanted, so the 1791 must have some redeeming qualities. 

I'd say more important in this discussion is the overall design: specifically power supply and output stage. Realistically both models look pretty decent at a glance, so just grab the one you find more affordable/attractive/available/etc. 

last year I bought a Rotel RA-12 integrated amp/DAC combo. I like it as I can switch back and forth between ditial sources and traditional sources like a CDP.

The rotel marketing states: The brain of the RA-12 is the Wolfson WM8740 24 bit/192kHz DAC, most often found in high-end audio products. I'd love to know more about the merits of this DAC. I need to upgrade my CD player at some point and I'm wondering if I might want an external DAC at some point. At this point my entry level Onkyo 7030 is fed through the Rotel.

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #23 of 24
  last year I bought a Rotel RA-12 integrated amp/DAC combo. I like it as I can switch back and forth between ditial sources and traditional sources like a CDP.

The rotel marketing states: The brain of the RA-12 is the Wolfson WM8740 24 bit/192kHz DAC, most often found in high-end audio products. I'd love to know more about the merits of this DAC. I need to upgrade my CD player at some point and I'm wondering if I might want an external DAC at some point. At this point my entry level Onkyo 7030 is fed through the Rotel.

[b]markm1[/b],

You mean Rotel is fed through 7030, right?

The chip inside Onkyo is WM8718. If you want some more information, I would recommend looking http://www.amazon.com/review/RZN7NUL44AUKX and http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #24 of 24

[b]markm1[/b],

The chip inside Onkyo is WM8718. If you want some more information, I would recommend looking http://www.amazon.com/review/RZN7NUL44AUKX and http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/

[b]markm1[/b],

Thanks U6astik,

I connect the 7030 (digital out coax) to the Rotel amp (pre out) fed through some Monitor Audio speakers and my HP's. The Rotel should have the better DAC between the two. I've tried listeing to my HPs from both the 7030 and the Rotel.

I'm wondering if it is better to connect one of my headphone amps (Asgard-2 or Little Dot1+) directly through the 7030 CDP vs the Rotel. I get more detail through the Rotel, but the amplification seems to sound better through the CDP. Connecting a headphone amp to a integrated amp-I think something is muddied-two amplifiers-not sure which component is really doing the amplification.

If listening to HPs through the CDP rather than the integrated is the better source, I may consider buying an external DAC to connect to the 7030 to improve upon the 7030 DAC when using HP's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back