Which casing for the cowon d2? (Also need the opinion of SA 6 owners).
Oct 12, 2008 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mrpspfreak

New Head-Fier
Ok, first "case":
Amazon.com: Cowon D2 JAVOSkin + JAVOedge Ultra-Clear JAVOScreen: Cell Phones & Service

And the second:
Amazon.com: Cowon D2 JAVOedge Millennium Flip Case (4GB/8GB/16GB) (Silver) [FREE SHIPPING]: Cell Phones & Service

The main things I'm worried about are screen cracks (this happened with my Clix2) and accessibility.

For SA owners, would you recommend I buy these accessories?

1.Amazon.com: Earbuds Travel Case for JLab JBuds, Black: Electronics

I heard the SA case is crap.

2.Amazon.com: Shure PA910M Replacement Black Foam Sleeves (Medium) for Shure SE210, SE310, SE420, SE530 and SE530PTH Earphones: 8th Street Music

I honestly don't even know if I want these. I'm only considering them in case the stock buds are uncomfortable. Are they?

Oct 12, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 5
Both case links appear to be the same so my only comment would be that a silicon case is not going to offer much in the way of screen protection from cracking. If this is a concern for you I would suggest one of the leather cases that have a flip cover over the screen. I use a Cowon leather case which has a magnetic latch and is easy to open and all ports and SD slot are accessible without having to remove the case. It adds a couple of mm bulk to the D2 but IMO offers better protection than a silicon.

All that said my D2 has been in it's case from day one only coming out occasionally for a clean and I have still managed to put a small crack in the screen, luckily it is right in the corner and barely visible and does not cause any problems with the touch screen but I have no idea how or when it happened just noticed it one day at an acute screen angle.

Case looks fine for the SA6 I picked up a Ety zippered pouch from discountheadphones.com for $3.00 with free shipping and it is great, also got Shure black foams from them as well $14 shipped free.
The foams or "Olives" have a good following with SA6 users but personally I found they muddied up the base a little and are a pig to remove from the treble tips once fitted, best to pull the tip and the foam off at once and then press the tip out from the foam rather than try to remove the foam while the tip is still connected which requires enough force to crack the tip housing.

I would also suggest a screen protector, after over 12 months use my screen is showing a bit of wear and tear from fine dust and gritty scratches as well as repetitive point stylus use, nothing chronic but it is visible.

Oct 12, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 5
Well I had boughten a Noreve case for my Clix2 before, and it still cracked (I did stupidly put at least 30 pounds of pressure on it though, so I guess it wasn't the case's fault...). I can't afford 45$ for a noreve though anyway, my limit is 20$.

Oct 12, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 5
I got the same case as tadad1 and even though it's soft it protects my SA6 quite well and it's alot easier for me to slot them in compared to the stock case.

It's really cheap and can be bought simply for "trying out".

The stock bi-flanges are not uncomfortable, it's just that I can't get a proper seal with them so I resort to the Olives. The Olives are wonderful they are very comfortable and creates a seal much easier than the stock bi-flanges.

I did not encounter any problems dealing with discountheadphones.com but I've read a thread that has a few complaints about slow reply and none delivery.

Oct 13, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 5
For my D2 I got the Zcover case & armband for distance running. It's pricey and their customer service is terrible. I ordered a case color that was out of stock and never got an email notification telling me this nor did I get a confirmation when I made the purchase. Then I had problems with shipping & handling. I found a number for their office and had to hound them for nearly three months to get some type of refund. Sorry for the rant.
icon10.gif

Anyway, the zcover looked like the sturdiest case for running.

I just bought the javoedge silicone case b/c I needed something easier to carry with my amp. I'll put an elastic or rubberband around the two and go. The javoedge case comes with an armband too. The zcover case has requires a plastic attachment, which is really hard to put on, that connects to the armband. The zcover case & amp are a pain to carry b/c of the plastic attachment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back