Which Cary?
May 16, 2003 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
Which Cary amp has the better headphone section? The SLI-80 or the SEI 300?
cool.gif

May 16, 2003 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 19
They are both of very high quality, and I think it would come down to individual taste.

Carlo feels the sli-80 is better, While my dealer who knows Dennis Had, told me that DH said the 300 sei is better.

I unfortunately have not heard both.

k.s.

May 16, 2003 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by KShaft
They are both of very high quality, and I think it would come down to individual taste.

Carlo feels the sli-80 is better, While my dealer who knows Dennis Had, told me that DH said the 300 sei is better.

I unfortunately have not heard both.

k.s.

A Kshaft is selling one on Audiogon???

May 17, 2003 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 19
Funny how one year and hearing the R10, HP-1, and Stax 303/SRM1 changes your mind about what headphones are capable of
wink.gif

In reading that post again I must admit that I wonder if 300SEI was simply letting me hear the limitations of stock HD580. But with that headphone no question SLI-80 in ultralinear was my choice. Audition courtesy of Upscale Audio, my thanks to Kevin and apologies for not mentioning that in the post.

May 17, 2003 at 4:59 AM Post #8 of 19
yeah thats me...

people with older, more expensive costing units have moved thiers and I have not. im kinda confused about the whole ordeal
confused.gif

k.s.

May 17, 2003 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 19
KShaft,

I've just aquired the R-10's, from your past experience how did it sound out of the Cary SEI 300? What other amps did you use with the R-10 What was your source?

Mahalo,
Bryan

May 18, 2003 at 12:40 AM Post #10 of 19
Hello.

From my experience, the cary sounds great with all headphones, however, it imparts its signature sound more so on higher impedence headphones. To be honest, I couldnt listen to the r10s with the gilmore(which is the only other amp I listened to the r10s to). When I had the gilmore my source was a metrenome v2 mk II. A very good player. I liked it better with the cary amp with a 10 year old(but state of the art back in the day) sony x777es cpd.

The cary makes the r10s sound sweet and liquid, but the sli-80 might give them more oomph at the expense of some inner detail.
Thats a big "if" both ways.

Its a very good amp, but id look into a DCT or sli 80 as well, and audition if possible. Hirsch seems to like his amp very much with his r10s, but just to reiterate, with the cary, the r10s sounded uber natural and liquid. With the gilmore, I couldnt listen to em, even with a superior source.

Now payment for my advice is an order of fried rice from Times Cafe in Kailua
biggrin.gif

your welcome,
k.s.

May 18, 2003 at 6:44 PM Post #12 of 19
The SLI-80 would be much more flexible if you wanted to use it within a two-channel speaker setup.

May 20, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by mkyy
What about discontinued model like SLI-30 or SLI-50, anyone know anything about them? Are they totally different beasts?

I don't think they have headphone jacks. Only the SLi-80 Signature and 300SEI have a jack.

May 20, 2003 at 1:36 AM Post #15 of 19
Well chefbeldar,
Unfortunately right now Im living in Ohio.
Boy, is it ever awful. So youll have to fly out here to audition it.

k.s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back