Which cans to pick under 200?
Apr 18, 2014 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

FreshtoJEFF

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to the site (mostly a lurker) and looking for some advice from the community. I've done a pretty good amount of research and just can't decide between all the options. I know some people will say you should hear them for yourself and see which sound best to yourself, I don't have intentions of buying headphone after headphone and dealing with returns. 

So far my only cans right now are the Monoprice 8323 and ATH-M50s. I just got the M50s 1 week ago for $75. I figured for the price and great reviews I'd give them a shot, well they are kinda having me wanting more lol. I'd prefer something with better clarity and natural sounding without sacrificing the bass (improved is better). Nothing muddy or anything but definitely something that has a nice punch. I'm not too accustomed to terminology when it comes to describing the soundstage but hopefully it will make sense. Pretty much just want to see if theres anything better than the M50s that is cheaper, maybe even get 2 cans for different types of music (while sticking around the $75 mark, something like Grados + a cheap closed can) or spending more (< 200) that will suit my needs.

These cans will be for home use so leakage isn't too much of a big deal. As far as closed/open I've read you can't really compare the two, but open provides a better soundstage? I am open to any recommendations, I'd just like the best I can afford. I'd also consider swapping out the pleather pads to Beyer EDT 250 pads.

I will be powering the cans with either my Zune HD, Desktop PC (built in sound card on the mobo), or either my Macbook pro.

Here's what I've looked/considered:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 (250 ohms/32 ohms) - Not very educated on the ohms. Are they difficult to drive at all? 
Sony MDR7506 
Sony MDRV6 (Same as MDR7506?)
SRH-440 - Maybe too neutral?
Superlux HD668B - If i went this route would like to pair it with something else
AKG K 240S/AKG K 240 MK II - Torn between these not sure what to believe
V-Moda Crossfade LP

Or just keep the M50s, and move on. Any input/recommendations are welcomed. Thanks guys!

As for genre, its hard. I'm honestly all over the place oldies, hip hop, r&b, rap, reggae, indie, punk/pop/rock, some country and jazz. Just not into EDM. 

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #2 of 8
$75 is a heck of a deal for the M50s, and I would not count on <$100 headphones providing you a better experience.

I think the DT770s are a step up over the M50s. However, for the 250 ohm version, you would need a headphone amp. Computers and portable devices do much better with lower impedance headphones.

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 8
$75 is a heck of a deal for the M50s, and I would not count on <$100 headphones providing you a better experience.

I think the DT770s are a step up over the M50s. However, for the 250 ohm version, you would need a headphone amp. Computers and portable devices do much better with lower impedance headphones.

Yeah they were manufacture refurbs with a year warranty so I jumped on them

As far as the DT770s, are they a huge upgrade over M50s in your opinion? And would a cheap fiio do any good powering them or only higher end setups with an amp+ DACs? Can the same be said for the 32 ohm version?

Apprecitae it!

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #4 of 8
Huge upgrade is so individual user judgement dependent. If you had paid regular price for the M50s and could return them, then I would say they would be worth the difference to me. :)

As far as amps, what devices would you use it with? (make/model).

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 8
Huge upgrade is so individual user judgement dependent. If you had paid regular price for the M50s and could return them, then I would say they would be worth the difference to me. :)

As far as amps, what devices would you use it with? (make/model).

Yeah I was thinking of spending the extra amount of money for the DT770 but I guess I won't know for sure if its an improvement unless I hear them for myself. I thought guitar center allowed access to their headphones but I guess not my particular store.

As far as amps, I was thinking something small like an E6 or E11 maybe

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 8
I already owned the M50s when I demoed the DT770s at home. In the end, while I thought the DT770s were better, not enough better for me to sell the M50s after paying for the DT770s, so I sent them back. You got an incredible value for $75. Since the DT770s are currently about $100 more, I don't think it's worth that much difference. But you might. What you might think about is saving that $100 toward a pair of open headphones better for gaming. You really do get a bigger soundstage with open headphones.

Then again if soundstage is what you want, the M50s are sort of weak on soundstage compared to other closed headphones. But once again, you got the great deal. I don't think overall you will do better in a headphone for what you paid.

For an open headphone that has good bass like the M50s, there is the DT990 Pro 250 on sale at Amazon for $170. But it will need a headphone amp because of the high impedance.

The E11 is considered a better amp than the E6. Check out the reviews in this sub $100 portable amp shootout (rankings at the end). However, if the M50s sound pretty good out of your Zune, don't expect a lot from an amp. You might get better dynamics and more volume, depending on what volume you listen to. Do the M50s sound better out of your Zune? Or out of your computer? And are you finding you are near max volume?

For gaming, a Soundblaster Z sound card would be a great choice. It has a dedicated headphone amp built-in. Better DAC than typically found with onboard audio. More importantly, it has virtual surround for use with gaming and movies which will create a more immersive soundstage and provide positional audio.

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 8
Haven't heard any of the headphones that you're looking at, but FYI I am powering my beyer DT880 250ohm with a desktop computer just fine, so you don't necessarily need an amp. 32ohms should definitely be okay. 

You might consider the DT880s, though--the 250 ohm version is currently under $200 on Amazon. They sound really great, have a bright and detailed sound that has worked for me for everything except metal, for which I prefer my AIAIAI TMA-1s. I owned M50s before and M50 + DT880 might make a good combination. 

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 8
I already owned the M50s when I demoed the DT770s at home. In the end, while I thought the DT770s were better, not enough better for me to sell the M50s after paying for the DT770s, so I sent them back. You got an incredible value for $75. Since the DT770s are currently about $100 more, I don't think it's worth that much difference. But you might. What you might think about is saving that $100 toward a pair of open headphones better for gaming. You really do get a bigger soundstage with open headphones.

Then again if soundstage is what you want, the M50s are sort of weak on soundstage compared to other closed headphones. But once again, you got the great deal. I don't think overall you will do better in a headphone for what you paid.

For an open headphone that has good bass like the M50s, there is the DT990 Pro 250 on sale at Amazon for $170. But it will need a headphone amp because of the high impedance.

The E11 is considered a better amp than the E6. Check out the reviews in this sub $100 portable amp shootout (rankings at the end). However, if the M50s sound pretty good out of your Zune, don't expect a lot from an amp. You might get better dynamics and more volume, depending on what volume you listen to. Do the M50s sound better out of your Zune? Or out of your computer? And are you finding you are near max volume?

For gaming, a Soundblaster Z sound card would be a great choice. It has a dedicated headphone amp built-in. Better DAC than typically found with onboard audio. More importantly, it has virtual surround for use with gaming and movies which will create a more immersive soundstage and provide positional audio.

Sweet info man. I guess I'll hang on to the M50s. I just heard great things about DT770 and I was considering them before I even grabbed the M50s. 

Right now the M50s sound slightly better through the Macbook Pro than they do from the Zune. The Zune I have a tendency to turn up the volume louder. I am not sure if the quality of the audio is to blame for this, but most of my tracks are 320kbps. I'll check out the link you provided, but if I am correctly the M50s won't benefit much from an amp? 

Thanks sir.

Haven't heard any of the headphones that you're looking at, but FYI I am powering my beyer DT880 250ohm with a desktop computer just fine, so you don't necessarily need an amp. 32ohms should definitely be okay. 

You might consider the DT880s, though--the 250 ohm version is currently under $200 on Amazon. They sound really great, have a bright and detailed sound that has worked for me for everything except metal, for which I prefer my AIAIAI TMA-1s. I owned M50s before and M50 + DT880 might make a good combination. 

I will look into the DT880s, beyers just look so damn comfy lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back