Which cans sound like Grado but have around-the-ear fit ?
Apr 10, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #19 of 37
Unfortunately, the answer is "nothing." I'd even argue that the GS1000 / PS1000 don't genuinely have the same sound as the SR60-RS1 range.

And, as such, if you add things like C-Pads or spacers of any kind, you're going to change the sound. I don't like the changes much, but YMMV. Honestly your best bet for increased comfort is an RS2 or an RS1, as they're much lighter on the ears than other Grados can be. Particularly the newer RS1i, with its newer gimbal holding system. It's not as "classic" as the old square rod Grados, but it's actually a bit more comfortable and far easier to adjust.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
exposing my noobiness again, but what are "C-pads" and "G-cusions" ??

C-pads are made by Headphile.com

G-Cushions are made by Grado for the GS1000

TIP: Let your fingers do the walkin' ie "Google"

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #23 of 37
BTW - I do have old Stax phones in the closet. never gave them a thought for many years.
They're the SR-Lambda with an "SRD-7" interface box.
As I recall, they need the speaker outputs from a full stereo system amp to work. Are they worth setting up to try ?

Cheers
Jeff

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

BTW - I do have old Stax phones in the closet. never gave them a thought for many years.
As I recall, they need the speaker outputs from a full stereo system amp to work. Are they worth setting up to try ?

Cheers
Jeff

Yeah, those were my first "nice" headphones.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #25 of 37
Thanks !
looks like I've got some more leads on those cushions as well as digging out the Stax. Besides, I want to see HER reaction when when they (Stax) come out of the closet - been in there for, well, lets say a long time.

Cheers
Jeff

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Cheers
Jeff

Get them out PRONTO!

Apr 10, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #29 of 37
I recently got in some RS1i's, still gently burning them in (they've had ~24hrs so far) and I'm considering moving up to the G-cushion or the C-pad. I will try weathering the standard cushions, of course, but would like to explore my options.

I've heard that using the G-cushion on anything but the model it is intended for will diminish the sound by thinning it out. Has anyone tried tape-modding the G-cushions to minimize bass loss via the outer walls, like it minimizes bass loss for the regular cushions?

Apr 10, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MACDRU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Adding c-pads to Grados kicks it up a notch in the "weirdest headphones ever made" category. Love the look though.

Heh! To me, I just can't do that to my headphones! If I gotta go that Frackin ugly, I'd rather not!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back