Which cannal ear phones for Ipod?
Jan 8, 2004 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mmhardky

New Head-Fier
I currently have a SONY D-EJ-925 with EX70 and are more than less happy with it. I got used to the bass-heavy sound of the ex70.
But I want to buy a 40GB Ipod now and I'm also thinking about getting me new headphones. They must be cannal ear phones. I want to spend 50 to 100$. Bigger amounts would be a problem.
I really don't know which models are good or not. I heard about some Shure E2 or some Sennheiser... I think I need a little help here.

Thanx!

BTW.: My main phones for home use are Sennheiser HD600 and I like them a lot. I listen mainly to classic rock, progressive rock, even some good progressive metal stuff. So I'm not a basshead.

Jan 8, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 8
I seem to be promoting the Shure E2s for the iPod more than anything else...but oh well. They make a pretty good combo and the best part of the E2s is their midrange. Some believe that their highs and lows leave something to be desired though. I got them for $90 shipped. The two in conjunction imho produce a very clear sound. Of course, mp3s with a high bitrate is preferrable but I never had problems with mp3s encoded at the lower levels with the Shures. They didn't seem too revealing to me.

Sennheiser--you're probably talking about the MX series earbuds. They're supposed to be nice, but lack the isolation of the Shures. But they're much cheaper. Some hate them, others love them.

You might want to wait around for info on the new Apple canal phones going for $40.

Etymotic ER-6 should be considered, though they go for ~$120, probably for less at other sites. Can't comment much on them because I've never had experience with them.

Jan 8, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 8
There is only one regularly recommended canal phone in that price - Shure E2/E2C (~$80). The lowest price Etymotic will be above $100. I don't think Sennheiser makes any canal phones.

If you can creep up the price the Ety ER6 (~$125) and Shure E3C (~$160) are options. The Ety ER4P/S (~$250) sounds very good with the iPod (as likely the others, haven't heard).

Jan 8, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 8
Tell me some more about the Shure E2. I can get them here in europe for 105 euro. If they are really good, I will buy them. Are they much better than the Sony EX70? (I hope they are when they cost twice the price)

What about Sennheiser earbuds? Are they bad for the money? Which models could be considered as acceptable?

I'm sure ER6 are great, but I think it would be very hard to get Etymotic's here in central europe
frown.gif

Jan 8, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 8
Jan 8, 2004 at 4:36 AM Post #6 of 8
Shure E2c for sure!!

Ety's ER6's lack in bass although they have better detail IMO. The Shure's were more enjoyable because of the bass and punchiness...

order em both, try em both and return the one you dont like - why cant more people think this way??
rolleyes.gif

Jan 8, 2004 at 8:48 AM Post #7 of 8
I bougt a pair for my girlie for christmas and was quite impressed.. the good midrange is definately the best bit but i was happy with the bass and kinda perfer them to sr60s and maybe hp890s. if you've got a hundred big ones to spend i don't think you could do better.

Jan 8, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 8
There is also the E3c and if you have the bucks, the E5c.

Scott

PS - Opps strike that, outside your price range, sorry....though from what I have read in thr forums, if you can stretch to the E3c, it may be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back