Which cable for headphone recabling
Feb 23, 2013 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Noone025

100+ Head-Fier
I'm starting down my journey of recabling / customising my Beyedynamic DT770 80's.

My first attempt was with Navships SPOFC cable, 3 cores braided. Nice results, but highly microphonic.

My second attempt (today) was with Mogami W2534, which is fairly thick, but has a horrible effect. When I turn my head, the shielding cores move against each other. I was unsure what was going on, but if you grab a new length of the W32534 and twist it lightly next to your ear, you can hear the strands moving against each other or against the jacket (or some similar effect). I've been searching for some info on this, no one seems to mention it.

So, for my next attempt, I'm going to compromise the quality of the cable for a flexible, smaller (aprox 3-4mm) cable, with low microphonics, 26 AWG (ish) and none of the issues mentioned above. Not as fussed about Quad, going to revert to normal config (I'm only after about 1m). something very maluable would be ideal, I don't like the idea of a stiff cable fatiguing the jack on my E17.

Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Cables available through ebay are ideal, not looking for $10+ pm solutions, just good cable.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
right, so I'm not spending more on the cables than the cans... The budget was hopefully <$10 per meter.

thanks.

ah, sorry :s 
http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2
maybe this stuff 24 awg wire, but don't get hooked up by all the crystals causing distortions and stuff. Especially the picture when it's been tested that there's a 1% difference in the signal. Think it's $2 per foot. Minimum to buy is 20 feet so $40. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 7
Any time 
cool.gif
 that's why the head-fi community is here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back