Which budget amp should I get?
Dec 16, 2005 at 8:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

fearless

100+ Head-Fier
Currently looking for an amp to go in between my Chaintech AV710 and Senn 497's. I had a mint amp but it died on me about 4 months ago. I loved the sound, but I've had nothing else to compare it to. My question is how do other similar priced amps compare? The PA2V2 or maybe the cmoy or any others. I'm currently leaning towards the mint. Any feedback is appreciated.

Dec 16, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 23
I guess I can chime in to help a fellow Minnesotan (I'm in Chicago for college). The mint is quite a very good budget amp and with the addition of being able to roll op-amps to tune the sound to your taste, you really can't go wrong with it. It's cheap and it sounds very good for the money. I'd also look into the Go-Vibe, which is another great little amp that is made off of the CMOY design by Norm. I think the V3's are done now and he's working on releasing a newer version early January, so look out for that.

Dec 16, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 23
I second the vote for the PA2V2. It's $60 shipped (you need your own rechargeable batteries, though) and Gary offers a money back guarantee. It's well worth the money and then some, being a quality product from a quality person.

Dec 16, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 23
Being as that its the only amp I have heard to date I dont really have a point of comparison, but the pa2v2 is awesome and has done wonders for my 650s

Dec 16, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 23
There are a ton of old posts regarding buget amps.

They're all good amps for the money. Personally, I like the Go-Vibe, which just happens to be the very first amp I purchased.

Dec 16, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 23
Again, remember that V4 of the Go-vibe is coming out in early January and that it has a DC jack in addition to batteries whereas V3 uses batteries only.

Dec 17, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 23
My choice?

Wait for tangent to release his new MINT design.

Then commission someone (like MisterX) to build it.

This new design is hot. The opamp is going to be the popular AD8397.

Dec 17, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #13 of 23
im looking for a cheap budget amp also. where can i get a MINT or PAV2? i searched on google...

Dec 17, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by fearless
Now I've got 2 more questions. How much is the Go-Vibe V4 going to cost, and when is the new Mint design going to come out?

Tangent has a prototype built and is working on it still, so I dunno.

You can commission someone to build the MINT for you, or build one yourself, so there are multiple sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back