Which brand make the most durable IEM?
Jun 4, 2018 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

minchia

New Head-Fier
Few months I am looking for an IEM to buy. The problem is everytime I come up with a decision, I end of finding a lot of negative reviews with complains about build quality. So my question is, regardless of sonic specification, which brand makes the most durable IEM?

If I want to spend 300$ dollars on an IEM, I expect them last at least 5 years. is it too much!?

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 11
If you read the reviews on amazon, you will see lots of complains about build quality. For instance the best seller SE215...

To be fair, a lot of customers on Amazon are completely clueless when it comes to caring for their stuff. I used a SE215 for 3 years and I never encountered any of the "common" complaints (nozzle snapping, cable breaking, MMCX connectors cutting out audio).

As for most durable IEM... It's hard to say. MMCX and 2-pin connectors (and drivers) fail eventually, and a more durable shell may also be heavier. I think it's more important to buy from a brand that has good customer service and has reasonable warranty terms for their products.

Jun 5, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 11
To be fair, a lot of customers on Amazon are completely clueless when it comes to caring for their stuff. I used a SE215 for 3 years and I never encountered any of the "common" complaints (nozzle snapping, cable breaking, MMCX connectors cutting out audio).

As for most durable IEM... It's hard to say. MMCX and 2-pin connectors (and drivers) fail eventually, and a more durable shell may also be heavier. I think it's more important to buy from a brand that has good customer service and has reasonable warranty terms for their products.

Yes, basically buy from a brand with good customer service and warranty.

I recommend Etymotic.

Sep 23, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 11
Jumping in late. I have the SE535. Bought them after the initial release (~2010). Except for swapping out the cable every few years (three so far), they have held up remarkably well. I use them while traveling when I can't bring my full-sized headphones and for running. Cleaning and care are important, but by doing so they will last forever.

My nephew is looking for an inexpensive pair (he's a harder runner than I am). Looking to recommend the SE215.

Sep 23, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #10 of 11
Yes, I do think it's not quite reasonable. At best you maybe have a 50/50 shot. Ignore reviews, especially Amazon. IEMs need to be treated fairly kindly. For lots of movement/activity id recommend mmcx termination. If you plan to take the cables off and put them back in a lot, 2 pin is better.

Buy a $150 IEM and hope it last 2.5 years.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #11 of 11
Well I have 3 pairs of westones, and the westone UM1, which I purchased for stage monitoring 15 years ago, is still going strong today. It has a non detachable cable and I didn't particularly take very good care of it and just stuffed it into pockets and bags without casing sometimes.

Strangely, my 2 newer westones (westone W30 and westone 3) had cable issues within 2 years of purchase, and generally cables are the first point of failure for my IEMs IMHO. Unfortunately the westone 3 has a non detachable cable and I couldn't salvage it, whereas the westone W30 had a detachable one, so no biggie with just swapping a cable. And these 2 newer westones, I babied them and put them in pelican hard cases whenever I travelled, so I'm not sure how come the cable failed so easily.

I had a bunch of other budget cheap CHIFI IEMs that I have used for 3 years+ without particular great care taken, and they are still working, so from now on, I'm only gonna buy detachable cable headphones and IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back