Which Big US City is your favorite?
Feb 20, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #32 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01

I am surprised Seattle, Atlanta, and Las Vegas are not on the list. I thought they had more people. It must be the way they count the actual city and not the suberbs.

"Atlanta" is all suburb. It's unfortunate we grew horizontally IMO. I hate driving
eek.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #33 of 75
Los Angeles for the variety. Dense urban core, sprawling suburbs, desert, mountains, ocean, highest of high culture, most base of low culture, and everything in between. Though San Fran is nice to visit (and I love the bay deeply) I could never live there because it is too densely packed and the politics are too left-wing.

Something in my heart wants to move back from Houston. I don't mind Houston, and I certainly love the less costly standard of living, but LA has a vibe all its own that Houston doesn't.

Feb 21, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #34 of 75
New York City born and bred. A second generation Manhattanite, there's no place else I'd rather be.

Feb 21, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #36 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
I haven't been to many, but I do love to visit San Francisco. I think it is one beautiful city, especially at night.

Aman! even the people are cool as hell and so down to earth it's actually quite refreshing everytime i go there and i feel like i'm in another world, it really is "magical" and the vibe there is so chill...in fact you know how some cities you visit and you can sit at some place and "people watch"...well, you could people watch all day there and you wouldn't be bored like other places because it's that interesting

Feb 21, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #38 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
San Diego for me... Love the weather there. Year - round outdoor activity.

so true, love so.cal weather, but love the vibe of the people and their "open mindedness" of no.cal too bad that can't merge into one city, preferabbly with a nice sunny beach too

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #39 of 75
I just moved to a city with just under 150000 then to another city with just under 680 people. The only thing I miss from Cali is the good food, so I guess i vote frisco despite the fact that it's hours away from many smaller places i despise.

Sunshine and lollypops. (but i'm not a big fan of the sun)

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #40 of 75
Miami

Feb 21, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #42 of 75
the weather disqualified all non california cities. in CA there are only 2 real cities, SF and LA. the thing with LA is that you only want to live there if you live in the suburbs, like Pasadena. in SF one actually wants to live in the city. THen the comparison
location: the bay is the most beautiful urban setting in America, LA has some stunning mountains and wide beaches.
transportation: SF has the best public transportation system out there, LA has the best road/freeway system
weather: LA is sunnier, but the smog is horrible. SF is rainier, but very clean. They are both windy, SF has bay area wind that stings, LA has Santa Ana wind that's hot, dry and said to drive people insane.
Sports: Giants, 49ers, Warriors, Sharks v. Lakers, Kings, Dodgers and USC's football team
Character: LA's could really be found in the places tourist don't go, old hollywood is like some parts of Michigan-left behind by newer industries and newer cities (burbank comes to mind). SF isn't that much better, but they revive their older settings as opposed to bulldozing them, SF is also a bit more tech happy (think Google).
Future: LA has a grand plan, new skyscrapers, cathederal, walt disney concert hall, staples center+conplex and the like. SF has more business skyscrapers comming in as opposed to apartment high rises, the city is also investing in new industries like Biotech.
Mayors: Villaraygoza is like a CEO with a vision and a plan, Newsom is like a daring stockbroker.
Politics: SF likes power, likes money, likes daring purposals, likes social justice principals. LA likes letting people do their own thing, more immigrant based, more pro labor-i think-, and just has different morals. (Think of Catholic Church in LA w/ religious role in SF). they are both very liberal though, but different.
Schools: LA: Claremont Colleges, Whittier, UCLA, USC, Cal-Tech, Layola Marymount, Cal Poly, CSU LA, Occidental, etc... SF: Berkeley, Stanford, USF, SF State, St. Mary's, UCSF, etc...
I think overall they tie as great places, but since i'm in SF area right now, i'd give it to SF.
I was going to add Chicago, but i havn't lived their long enough to make decent comparisons.
also: My avy is off the Santa Monica Pier in So Cal.

Feb 21, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #45 of 75
Definitely San Diego. La Jolla is just a beautiful area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back