Which Beyerdynamic?
Dec 23, 2005 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Electro Point

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking into buying some Beyerdynamic headphones in the future.
I know that they are high indepence so its going to take a lot to drive them but I will have a portable amp soon so thats solved.
IMO I personally love how they looks with the simple yet very classic functional look.
I listen to electronica/dance/trance... etc type music most of the time so I'm looking for one that has a somewhat flat frequency range but isn't all the way balenced. Also not the music to be too bright but crystal clear sounding and also have adequate amount of mid tones but not overpowering the rest of the frequency range. I would like it to have crisp bass that extends down real low but not muddy, too boomy sounding.

I've narrowed it down to about 3 headphones. The DT 770 Pro, DT 880, and DT 990 Pro.

Which one you think would suit what I'm looking for?
If you think I should get a different headphones like Grado's, Sennheisers or whatnot compare the model you advise me to get to those Beyerdynamics.

Dec 23, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro Point
I'm looking into buying some Beyerdynamic headphones in the future.
I know that they are high indepence so its going to take a lot to drive them but I will have a portable amp soon so thats solved.
IMO I personally love how they looks with the simple yet very classic functional look.
I listen to electronica/dance/trance... etc type music most of the time so I'm looking for one that has a somewhat flat frequency range but isn't all the way balenced. Also not the music to be too bright but crystal clear sounding and also have adequate amount of mid tones but not overpowering the rest of the frequency range. I would like it to have crisp bass that extends down real low but not muddy, too boomy sounding.

I've narrowed it down to about 3 headphones. The DT 770 Pro, DT 880, and DT 990 Pro.

Which one you think would suit what I'm looking for?
If you think I should get a different headphones like Grado's, Sennheisers or whatnot compare the model you advise me to get to those Beyerdynamics.

I'd vote DT880 as #1 - best match to your requirements of neutral frequency response, articulate but not overpowering midrange, tight bass, and crisp, clean highs. #2 would be DT990 (it is warmer, more bassy, less articulate), followed by #3 - the DT770, which IMO, isn't anything like you'd want.

Dec 23, 2005 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 6
Based on what you're looking for - 880s. Personally, though, I find that the 880s sound too similar to my er4ps, which (to me) makes dance and trance sound boring and lifeless. If you have the chance to, audition the 990s with a couple of your favorite cds. They're a much more fun can compared to 880s.

BTW, I heard the 770s are pretty popular with the DJs where I come from.

Dec 23, 2005 at 9:02 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro Point
(...) I've narrowed it down to about 3 headphones. The DT 770 Pro, DT 880, and DT 990 Pro.

Which one you think would suit what I'm looking for? (...)

None of these - I'd recommend to look for a DT531. Or the DT250/250.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back