Which Beyerdynamic to get DT 880 or 990 Pro?
Nov 29, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #16 of 22
The 990 was Beyer's top of open headphone line. Then the 880 was introduced as Beyer's top of all lines. Meier, HeadRoom... all proclaimed that Beyer finally had a product worthy of calling reference quality. And then the Senn 650 was released and well... the Beyer 880 lost a lot of PR.

Take HeadRoom's ratings with a grain of salt, but the 880 is a 5/5, 990 is 3/5 and 770 is 2.5/5. To me the only question would be 880 from Meier shipped for $210US or from Beyer directly with a straight cable, maybe the 32ohm variety for portable use and leather treatment for $289EU
biggrin.gif

I still consider the Beyer 880 and Senn 650 to be the best overall headphones at their price point. The Senn 650 is warmer and more forgiving, the Beyer is more natural with better extention but ruthless in it's honesty. Other headphones may suit specific types of music better, by deviating from the source in a certain way, but then fail miserably in other music types. No thanks, not my game. When a heaphone reproduces music faithfully it becomes universal only limited by the recording.

I guess coming from speakers to headphones I don't believe in the multi headphone stash. That thinking in speakers would take up a large ammount of space and money
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andresin
It is clear that beyers new top of the line will be the DT990.

Wonder if the new models all share the 880 driver but in different casing closed/semi/open? Wait and find out or jump at the original 880
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #20 of 22
Just got my DT880s in the post from Meier Audio. 175 Euros... which is just over £100 pounds I think.

Was informed that the originals (the ones I bought) are going to have identical sound to the new DT880s.

They certainly sound nice with my crappy Mint Tin. Im letting them burn in via my home amp in preparation for my Supermini.

Initial first impressions are very positive. Very neutral clear sound and extrememly comfortable to wear.

Plus I didnt get the coiled cable
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #22 of 22
Um, maybe I'm the oddball but I much prefer the new styling - was hoping to get them when they are released. I just hope they will be in the same ballpark pricewise and not juiced up into the $250-300 range.

Anyone know when they will be on the market?

augustwest - would coworkers get annoyed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back