Which Benefits More From A Portable Headphone Amp: W3 or Westone UM3X?
Jul 31, 2009 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DLeeWebb

Headphoneus Supremus
I have both of these IEM's. I plan to use one IEM with my Pico (which I don't carry with me all of the time...), and the other I plan to carry with me all of the time for use with my iPhone without the Pico. I have read numerous threads on general W3/WUM3X topics where posts have expressed opinions one way or the other. From my own listening experience, I would say the WUM3X sounds a bit better unamped, but I have A/B'ed these IEM's so much I don't trust my own judgement anymore!
confused_face.gif
I just wanted to ask the question outright to see if there is anything like a general consensus among those that have experienced both Westone models...TIA

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both of these IEM's. I plan to use one IEM with my Pico (which I don't carry with me all of the time...), and the other I plan to carry with me all of the time for use with my iPhone without the Pico. I have read numerous threads on general W3/WUM3X topics where posts have expressed opinions one way or the other. From my own listening experience, I would say the WUM3X sounds a bit better unamped, but I have A/B'ed these IEM's so much I don't trust my own judgement anymore!
confused_face.gif
I just wanted to ask the question outright to see if there is anything like a general consensus among those that have experienced both Westone models...TIA

They are both about the same. I tried them both with a few different amps at a meet, and the benefit is tangible on both of them. The primary difference, IMO, is the difference in sound signature between the two. But they are both greatly improved by having an amp, and by about the same amount.

I'd say, use whichever one you like better with the amp, and the one you like less without the amp. That way you're getting the peak experience when you have the amp.

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 14
I find both of these work fine without an amp. When I put an amp to the light and bright ER4P and PFE, I found these improved the most with amping, but the Westones are already quite warm and ample in the bass. I'd concur with the comment that you should go with the phone you like best.

Aug 4, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally use the W3 with either a Pico or P51 and the UM3X direct, but's just me.

Thank you for your advice and opinions. It's such a close call to my ear I don't think that it would matter too much either way. The UM3X seems a bit more comfortable for long term use, and the "separation of the various instruments" seems to improve in the W3 when amped. (probably my imagination...) I think I'll follow PH's example above. Thanks again...

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 14
totally unnecessary for both...

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlbrach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
totally unnecessary for both...

right; so i'm guessing you have both and a high quality amp?? but I guess its your opinion and all

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #9 of 14
i do have both and in both cases they are more than efficient enough to be driven by my zune and creative zen vision m without any problem

Aug 4, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 14
Most iem's can be driven well by a decent dap. Amping is completely a personal choice but I have noticed almost no gain from amping on some cans (se530's) and some where it changed the can completely onto another level (ie8's among a couple others) I say go with what you want and add a amp if you want to.

Aug 4, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlbrach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i do have both and in both cases they are more than efficient enough to be driven by my zune and creative zen vision m without any problem

x 2, though I have a 160gb iPod Classic -- and that also goes for my ES3X and the SE530's. Sold my P-51 because amping didn't really improve the sound, didn't make it worse but did NOT improve it.

Aug 4, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #13 of 14
IMHO, a good DAC is more important than AMP. I can have a very good quality sound from a decent DAC/AMP compared to my PC/laptop's hp out. Also, the unamped UM3Xs are very good already.

You can get lots of volume from iPods hp out. But, if you like the to amp the line out, why not, and I also do think it is not necessary, unless you prefer a different sound signature.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back