Which Beethoven String Quartet?
Jun 5, 2008 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
This will be my first Beethoven CD and based on many suggestions on these boards, I am starting with his late string quartets.
The question is, which one should I buy?

Also, why is it that some CD's I find are set of 3 with say 29 tracks, while others are a 4 CD set with over 40 tracks.

Shouldnt there be a set number of "late string quartets"? (i thought it was 12-16?)

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 13
Some sets might include Op 95 (or maybe even Op 74 as well) in the with the late quartets (Opp. 127, 130, 131, 132, 133, 135), so that could result in there being more tracks in some sets. Also, a lot of movements of the late quartets flow into one another without breaks, so that could be another reason for the discrepancies. FWIW, I can't imagine starting listening to Beethoven with the late quartets, which are probably his most challenging works. If you are looking for quartets, check out the three Op. 59 ones. I would recommend the Takacs Quartet recording.

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #3 of 13
just buy them all. they're all good.

51WH14XPQTL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

only $29.97

Amazon.com: Beethoven - The Complete String Quartets / Alban Berg Quartet: Ludwig van Beethoven, Alban Berg Quartet, Gerhard Schulz, Hatto Beyerle, Thomas Kakuska, Valentin Erben Günther Pichler: Music

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 13
Jun 5, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #6 of 13
The late period works are extremely cerebral and, one could argue, difficult to access. That said, I think they represent some of the greatest accomplishments in music.

My favorite recordings of the string quartets are:

and

Jun 5, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 13
I also have the Berg quartet set, and it's excellent.
For what it's worth, I don't agree with the idea that the late quartets are too difficult/intellectual to make a good starting point. For me, the modernness and often downright weirdness of the late quartets make them more accessible than the earlier, more traditional ones.

Jun 5, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #8 of 13
This is such great, beautiful and touching music! It is by no means only cerebral but conveys deep emotions (eg "Heiliger Dankgesang eines Genesenden"). And I second Henry Flower, why listen to the "boring" early quartets if you can spend time with the late quartets?
I love the Busch (from the 30s, mono, sound not that bad), Vegh quartet (recodring from 50s), Guarneri, Alban Berg quartet recordings. Op 133, the "Grosse Fuge" is best played by the Guarneri quartet, it is amazing: each time I hear it I am surprised that such a density of power, audacity, dignity and vulnerability actually exists.
A lot of people like the Emerson quartet. It is beautiful, very well-balanced, deeply-felt. Personally, I just miss some "rawness".

Jun 5, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #9 of 13
My favorite string quartet is the 14th,op. 131.With it's 7 movements.It's kind of mind-blowing...

Then the 16th and 15th, the end. Very moving.

The most intriguing for me is the 7th. Why make the third movement 21 minutes long? What did he want to communicate?He could not stop creating?Adding new music,no ordinary ending there!
Or like in the blues/rock concert when the song is finished but the musicians continue for a while, not ending the song,making the pleasure continue...!

regards,

Jun 5, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 13
Thanks for the input guys.
Am looking forward to getting the set.

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeChuck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The late period works are extremely cerebral and, one could argue, difficult to access. That said, I think they represent some of the greatest accomplishments in music.

My favorite recordings of the string quartets are:

and

I find the Takacs Beethoven late quartets annoying. The changes of dynamic seem exaggerated and unnatural sounding. At least they drive me crazy, take me away from enjoying the flow of the music, make the music seem too disjointed.

Jun 11, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #13 of 13
I am generally a pretty big fan of the Quartetto Italiano sets on Philips, especially for the op. 59 pieces.

Like others have said, too, I don't know that starting with the late quartets is a good idea, but if you get a complete set, that shouldn't be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back