Ex.
Sennheiser
Rs 170
HD 185
HD 175
HD 202
Sennheiser-Urbanite-XL
598 open
A few days ago I tried Sony WH-XB900N I noticed the bass was completely different from Sennheiser headphones

For Example Sony headphone bass was wide and my whole ear was vibrating compare to all Sennheiser headphones. Sennheiser was more like on the head not wide and direct.
Here I am asking which bass is common or original
If I buy a different brand of headphone which bass I am going to get a Sony or Sennheiser ones

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 3
Unfortunately there is no simple or correct answer.

"Real" bass depends very much on what kind of environment you would expect to hear the bass in.

Some massive over-generalizations would be:
- Planar bass is very 'dry', tight and clean sounding with easy to distinguish detail - It sounds the most real for a studio/recording setting.
- Closed-back dynamic bass is often very loose, slow and sometimes 'boomy' - it sounds the most real for a livingroom or live indoor setting.
- Open-back dynamic bass is often a good balance between the two. Just enough tightness to sound like a live performance, and just enough speed to appreicate the sound quality of the recording.

Purists might argue that the Sennheiser (specifically the HD185 or HD598 as I am familiar with those) is closer to the 'true' sound of the recording.
There are many people who dislike the boomier, slower sound of the modern Sony closed-back portables, although they can actually get closer to the sound that you might expect in huge live performances with enormous PA systems, as they have a looser sound and more pronounced sub-bass frequencies.

So a basshead would likely take Sony over Sennheiser, but again it greatly depends on the specific model, as they all sound slightly different or have different strengths and weaknesses.

If you're really interested in going into a deep-dive into 'basshead' headphones, check out this thread - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...treme-bass-club.716711/page-792#post-16164305
It's a long read and unfortunately, a lot of it totally glazes over or outright ignores audio fidelity.
The main point for many in that thread used to be 'bass volume/power' over everything else. But there's still a lot of info there.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-closed-back-headphone-thread-plus-comparisons-reviews.939901/
This thread is also slightly basshead oriented, as bassheads tend to gather around closed-back dynamic headphones.

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #3 of 3
For Example Sony headphone bass was wide and my whole ear was vibrating compare to all Sennheiser headphones. Sennheiser was more like on the head not wide and direct.

Here I am asking which bass is common or original

Neither.

One way to look at it: what bass and what environment are you trying to recreate?

Because if it's based on speakers ie subwoofers there is no way to replicate it using a headphone, and music is generally recorded and mastered for speakers while your hearing that bass is typically from speakers, ie, everything that is there in the concert or in a club.

So for example if you want a bass drum that kicks you in the chest at a rock or heavy metal concert or a club with crawling bass that enhances certain pills' effects, no headphone will do that since the drivers are right outside your ears (if not in them) and at best hanging off your head by a couple of inches, not dual 10in drivers a few meters in front of you.

If you just want to hear strumming and plucking on a double bass or bass guitar then most basic thing to avoid is having the notes merging into each other.

If I buy a different brand of headphone which bass I am going to get a Sony or Sennheiser ones

That depends.

They can sound like either or sound like their own version of bass depending on what compromises they make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back