Which bands are still recording analog?
Jan 6, 2010 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

slytown

100+ Head-Fier
Have you heard of any bands that are still recording analog style? Here is one of my favorite post-rock bands that recently did an analog session. Just wondering if DAWs have really taken over like everyone says, or, like with vinyl records, has analog in the studio come back as well.

The Last Songbook

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 21
Jan 6, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 21
I know Sloan's third album One chord to another was recorded in analog - not sure about subsequent offerings. It's a fantastic piece of work!

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #12 of 21
I know Dinosaur, Jr made a big deal about doing all analog recording on one of their last albums, in order to retain that great sound, but then mentioned how they put all of it through a super-compressor, so I don't think any of that mattered in the end. Just because a band records analog doesn't mean it will end up better.

Screaming Females from New Brunswick, NJ still records all analog, as well.

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by smrtby123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know Dinosaur, Jr made a big deal about doing all analog recording on one of their last albums, in order to retain that great sound, but then mentioned how they put all of it through a super-compressor, so I don't think any of that mattered in the end. Just because a band records analog doesn't mean it will end up better.

Screaming Females from New Brunswick, NJ still records all analog, as well.

Well yea, if they mastered the tracks with a compressor that's pretty deleterious. I'm guessing they just compressed the kick drum or something. If someone is serious about analog they wouldn't flatten the track and kill the dynamics.

Feb 10, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by saunders73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jack johnson's latest effort, sleep through the static, was recorded analog. here is an interesting article on production.
http://www.mrbonzai.com/v2/images/st...ackjohnson.pdf

sweet, thanks. time to order it on vinyl.
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back