Which Audio-Technica headphones to get?
Dec 10, 2016 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Xpl0sion

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I have a gift card to an online retailer that sells AT headphones (only legit audio brand on the site) and also price matches to Amazon.  I need to use the gift card by the end of next week and need to get a new pair of headphones for my study laptop.  I need something that will sound decent without an amp and don't really mind if they're open or closed.

Here's what I'm looking at (prices after gift card & amazon PM):

700x - $12

900x - $46

MSR7 - $149

I'm inclined to just get the 700xs since I won't be using the laptop with a amp, and they're basically free.

Any other AT models I should consider?  The site does not have M50xs.

Main goal is for comfort & no ear fatigue for long study sessions.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 4
Originally Posted by Xpl0sion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Main goal is for comfort & no ear fatigue for long study sessions.

The AD700x and AD900x have mixed opinions on comfort. I personally own a pair of AD900x and they're really nice but the support of the headphones aren't too great and can cause my ears to hurt after 2+ hours. This can be easily fixed with the rubber band mod though.

I'm inclined to just get the 700xs since I won't be using the laptop with a amp, and they're basically free.

None of those model requires an amp. 

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #3 of 4
  The AD700x and AD900x have mixed opinions on comfort. I personally own a pair of AD900x and they're really nice but the support of the headphones aren't too great and can cause my ears to hurt after 2+ hours. This can be easily fixed with the rubber band mod though.
None of those model requires an amp. 

Thanks for your reply.  I used to have a pair of the original 700s during my PC gaming days and I could literally wear them for hours without noticing.  Is the comfort level you're describing due to the revision? From what I remember, the rubber band mod works well if you have a smaller head size?

Also, I realize both the 700s and 900s don't require an amp, but will there be a noticeable difference between the two cans without one? End of the day, its $30 difference so I'll just grab the 900s if the quality jump is decent enough.

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #4 of 4
Well I've never heard the AD700x but I really enjoy my AD900x. It's currently my go to headphone for relaxing. For $30 I would go for it unless you're strapped for cash. I wouldn't say there is really a difference if you amp it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back