Which Artist am I Missing? (recommend me music phase II)
Jan 28, 2008 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Brian loves music

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

Looking for some more suggestions. Here are my current favs:

Animal Collective, Panda Bear, Radiohead, Sigur Rós, Bob Dylan, Battles, Pink Floyd, Ratatat, The Knife, Andrew Bird, Elliot Smith, Joy Division, Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem, TV on the Radio, DMB, Béla Fleck, Tim Reynolds, Wendy Carlos, George Harrison, R.E.M., Ben Folds, Paul Simon, Iron & Wine, Arctic Monkeys, Deerhoof, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tool, Eric Clapton, Neutral Milk Hotel, Rolling Stones, The Velvet Underground, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, The National, Kings of Leon, Pixies, The Breeders, Modest Mouse, Daft Punk, M.I.A., DJ Shadow, Massive Attack, Portishead, Björk, Múm, Talking Heads, Dirty Projectors, Beirut, Sonic Youth, Holy ****, Grizzly Bear, Aphex Twin, Asian Dub Foundation, !!!, Can

As you can tell mostly indie rock.

What one or two major artists am I leaving out here? Just three months ago I came across major artists like REM, Bjork, Talking Heads which I had actually little to noidea about. Didn't even know REM and Bjork were popular at all. Now that I've been introduced to the euoropean indie scene i'm discovering like one band a day. Any suggestions? I'm excited about the possibility of finding a new gem that, being clueless for so many years, I have not been exposed to.

ThankSSSSSSSSSSS

Jan 28, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 15
you might like a guy named Chad VanGaalen, he is from calgary, and made his first couple albums in his bedroom, and is now on sup pop I believe.

Jan 28, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #3 of 15
oh ya, and Destroyer have been a consistent favorite of mine since streethawk

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #8 of 15
thanks for the recommendations guys, defintely check thme all out.

I'm curious if anyone thinks there are any "big names" (that are also fairly well acclaimed) that may have washed over me. Like I said recently I discovered Bjork and REM, too HUGE names that I simply had listened to almost none of. Any ideas? - the more recent the better

Jan 28, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #9 of 15
That's good your keeping an open mind. I'm actually using your list to cross-reference acts I haven't heard of. That's how many names we have in common. I've only heard a bit of !!!, and now I'll check them out further. Besides keeping the search up, the only genre I could possibly suggest is classical. Besides those bands you've listed, I have lots of chamber music. Beethoven's Cello sonatas. Bach's Cello Suites. etc. The trick is to research the performance and recording, not just picking up best of compilations. Stuff like that is great but I do lots of reading and writing to it. Just my random thoughts.

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 15
I'm sure you know there are hundreds of great artists missing from your list, but how about some T. Rex?

I love Electric Warrior, and the singles from that album are pop classics, like "Get It On" and "Jeepster", and I love some of the mystic folk leaning things that came before, but the followup The Slider, is one of my alltime favorite goto albums today, and in some ways it's much more mature and cohesive. It's got that timeless sound, never seems to age. Always fresh. And it still has the classic singles like "Metal Guru" and "Telegram Sam". This was Marc Bolan on top of the world ... T. Rex was enormous at the time, maybe the biggest band in the world, almost like Beatlemania, and this album really comes to life with Tony Visconti's production (whom he tributes with "Telegram Sam"), but there is quite a bit of darkness and maturity hidden in the often cryptic lyrics, like the title track with it's overtly sexual and playful overtones that also hint at his knowledge of there being only one way to go once you reach the top....

And when I'm sad
I slide
Watch now
I'm gonna slide

The excellent sounding 1997 remaster also has three solid bonus tracks from the same time period, including "Cadillac", which I think was the B-side of "Telegram Sam". Great song on both sides of that single.

Bobby's alright, Bobby's alright
He's a natural born poet, he's just outta sight
Automatic shoes, automatic shoes
Give me 3D-vision and the California Blues
And me I funk but I don't care
I ain't no square with my corkscrew hair

Telegram Sam
You're my main man ...

The usual criticism of T. Rex is that Marc Bolan really only had one song that he kept repeating ... but it was a VERY good song. I kind of agree, but there's enough stylistic variation on The Slider to keep me interested, a little more so than on Electric Warrior. His adoration of Bob Dylan (as in the above lyrics) and John Lennon really start to come out more on this one, and of course his close friend David Bowie was able to energize his career by taking on that alien persona that Bolan created and multiplying it to get Ziggy Stardust. Bowie even used T. Rex in a song he wrote for Mott the Hoople, "All the Young Dudes".

And The Slider wins for its great sound quality too, on both the original UK vinyl and the excellent 1997 Demon Records CD remaster [Demon Records remaster was transferred using the Prism Sound 20-bit A/D and dropped to CD resolution using Prism's SNS system] ...while at the same time continuing that same boogie spirit from Electric Warrior. Very nice job. Don't know how the newer remasters sound, but I would be very surprised if they did this good a job, although I think some report they use the same transfer. Not sure, but this one seems like a pretty flat transfer without much, if any, added compression.

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #11 of 15
I remember a similar thread from a little while back. We have similar tastes in newer music. You should fill in your collection with older "classic alternative" or "alternative classic" from the 60s on, like:

Big Star
13th Floor Elevators
Television
Suicide
Throbbing Gristle
Pixies
Minutemen
fIREHOSE
Meat Puppets
Gang Of Four
Wire
Stiff Little Fingers
Undertones
Black Flag
Minor Threat
Dinosaur, Jr.
The Jam
The Buzzc*cks
Can
Neu!
Kraftwerk
Mission Of Burma
Sebadoh
Pavement
Killing Joke
Roxy Music
Brian Eno

And probably some more I am forgetting.

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 15
Jeez, well I can think of two shocking omissions of the top of my head:

The Band (first couple of albums)

The Flaming Lips (tons of very different stuff to explore, but I like the "Hit To Death in the Future Head" and "In a Priest Driven Ambulance" era, 1990-ish).

Jan 29, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 15
I see you like Eric Clapton. Try John Mayer, Amy Winehouse and Jimi Hendrix, The Doors oh and take a look at acid jazz acts like Jamiroquai and Incognito. Who knows you just might like them.

Cheers

P.S. Don't forget last.fm.

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #14 of 15
Bigger bands that you might have missed (or just don't like?): U2, Queen, Flaming Lips, King Crimson, David Bowie, Emmylou Harris ("Wrecking Ball"), Talk Talk (their last two), Jeff Buckley . . .

Other bands that you might dig: Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Tristeza, Venetian Snares, Boards of Canada, Amon Tobin, David Torn, Splattercell, Ben Harper, Tortoise, Daniel Lanois, . . .

Definitely dive into some orchestral music or 20th century composers. Bartok, Shostakovich, Steve Reich, Philip Glass, John Cage, Lou Harrison, . . .

I could go on all day.

Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back