Which are the current choices for isolating phones for gym use?
Jan 25, 2009 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Ymer

500+ Head-Fier
I used to be really happy with my PortaPros and Sansa Clip, but now my gym has become WAY too noisy for the PortaPros, and I definitely need some isolation. I'd REALLY appreciate something similar to the PortaPros with isolation.

I really dislike the Creative EP-630 and all the other copies of the same phones.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 13
I'm sure it's not the top choice around here, but for me it's the Motorkr S9-HD.

I like it being wireless and sound plenty good enough for the gym or running (better than stock phones but won't compete with decent IEMs). Isolation is ok, but I also like to have it low enough so I can hear some of what is going on around me especially when running. They are sweat resistant so a good choice for working out and if you player supports A2VP you con control play/pause/stop/Fast Froward/Rewind from the headset.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #6 of 13
A cheaper solution (by headfi standards) would be the Sennheiser CX380. You can wash this canalphone under running water.

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #7 of 13
I've never had any trouble with my Shure E3 and E4C's staying put while running, biking, etc.

I haven't seen them until now, but those CX380's sure do look ideal for any activity involving sweat and rapid movement.

Jan 28, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #8 of 13
Been using my Shure E4G's in the gym for about 2yrs solid now, sweating on them 3 times a week and they handle it no problem.

Jan 28, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #10 of 13
Try the Atrio M5

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #11 of 13
I usually use my UM1. There's no problem with it falling out because the wires loop over your ears. I owned the Senn CX300 and they were the worst in ears I've ever used because of the cable microphonics. The CX380 look a little different so maybe they fixed that problem, but I'd be hesitant about buying them.

With any isolation headphone and running, you'll get a loud thump with every foot fall.

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Topmounter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never had any trouble with my Shure E3 and E4C's staying put while running, biking, etc.

I haven't seen them until now, but those CX380's sure do look ideal for any activity involving sweat and rapid movement.

I used to use a pair of Shure E3C with rubber plugs in the gym, but I found that the plugs are just not sufficiently securely attached to the earphone if you sweat. I sweat plenty. I had the rubber plug get stuck in my ear several times. The last time it got stuck and I couldn't fish it out w/ the earphone, so I had to have someone pull it out with forceps. Not a fun time.

So I would recommend against Shure E3Cs with rubber plugs for gym use. Look for something that will stay on and won't slide off when wet.

I am curious about the CX380s.

Jan 28, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #13 of 13
I use JVC Marshmallows. It is the only time I use them now that I have better IEMs. I mainly use these because they are cheap and I don't mind if the get wet. They stay put while running and everything. I would probably use better IEMS like everyone else is saying, but apparently I am just paranoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back