Which are the best cans for Prog?
Oct 10, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 5
I recommend; Grado SR325e, Ultrasone Pro900, Beyerdynamic DT770 or 990.
Probably the best one would be the Grado SR325e, it has the right amount of bass and treble for this type of music and cymbals, drums and electric guitars have lots of decay, so good for this particular type of music.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 5
HD600, HD650, HE400i, LCD-2; K702, K701. More laid back cans and those with deep soundstage are great for prog and symphonic metal vs something like Grados, which sound like they're just throwing everything at you. If you play console fighting games, it's like if they're first person view, and you're fighting E.Honda or Charlotte.

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 5
More laid back cans and those with deep soundstage are great for prog
I agree with this. I listen to older prog, peter gabriel era genesis, king crimson, pink floyd, yes, supertramp, tull and so on. Brighter sounding phones can really drill my ears with cymbals and keyboard. Out of the phones I have, my favorites for prog are Audioquest Nighthawks and Beyer Amirons. The Amirons are at the limit for treble, I would not like anything brighter than these for prog. Also as he said above, I like a open design for soundstage. As always this is just my opinion and we all hear different. Also if your budget is higher $$$$, that would open the door for more options. Here is a list of other headphones I have at this time.
Senn. hd 650, Fostex th-x00, Hifiman he 400, Philips fidelio x2, Sony mdr-z7, Grado gh-2 More that I no longer own but doubt they would sound better than my 2 top picks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back