Which are some of the heaviest headphones ever forged in the pits of hell?
Mar 11, 2016 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

LayLay

Head-Fier
I have an interest in headphone history, and right now I'm curious about the topic of headphones and weight. I know headphones used to be very heavy back in the day, so I'm wondering how heavy they went at their most heavy. Pictures are very welcome.
And no I don't have fat fetish, my interest in weight is strictly sonic.

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 21
  Of recent history: Fostex RP 50 Series 2. I catch a ton of crap for posting this but I had a this headphone, so I know what I am talkin' about.

Oh yeah, those look plenty heavy. And boy are they uuuuuuuuuuugly!

I guess I should mention the ones I have on my head right now, the Fidelio X1s. They're pretty heavy by modern consumer headphone standards at 380 grams.

And I feel like mentioning I just ordered a pair of B&W P3s as a present for my sister. XD

Sep 26, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 21
Lets revive this post.

The HEDD Heddphone weighs in at a beefy 718 grams.

HEDDphone-5.jpg

Sep 26, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 21
How did they manage to make the XC even heavier while replacing the wooden cups for carbon fiber?!
I know, right?

That's what I asked myself, too. What's the point of using carbon fiber if it's just going to add more weight. Audeze should have kept the maple cups; they look (a lot) better, IMO.

Sep 26, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 21
I have an interest in headphone history, and right now I'm curious about the topic of headphones and weight. I know headphones used to be very heavy back in the day, so I'm wondering how heavy they went at their most heavy. Pictures are very welcome.
And no I don't have fat fetish, my interest in weight is strictly sonic.
I think that the Kennerton Audio Odin planar magnetic headphones (from a division of Fischer Audio) weighed in at 830 grams.

Sep 26, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 21
I think that the Kennerton Audio Odin planar magnetic headphones (from a division of Fischer Audio) weighed in at 830 grams.
My mistake: 680 grams .

Oct 7, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #13 of 21
As the name suggests
ZMF Ironwood Verite closed.
heavy and yet comfortable

Oct 7, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #14 of 21
I remember back when the HE500 was considered a heavy boy. Hell I still think it’s too heavy for it’s own good...but yeah with the releases of the LCD-4 and the Heddphone..well it’s suddenly not all that heavy anymore. Both the Heddphone and LCD-4 weighs about the same as three pairs of R70x plus a few added gummibears.
I guess it’s alright if you’re a busy bee and only ever get about half an hour’s worth of music in before the kid/wife/job/alpaca needs your attention.

Oct 7, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #15 of 21
As the name suggests
ZMF Ironwood Verite closed.
heavy and yet comfortable
I find the ZMF cans supremely comfortable. My own Vérité Closed Monkeypod (probably) weighs around 500g, but I don't really notice the bulk at all, to be frank. Plus, the pads are so plush; they feel so good on the ears. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back