Which are better, V-MODA M-100 or Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 headphones?
Mar 8, 2015 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Yukicore

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new pair of over-ear headphones. Thinking of getting one between these two, but not necessarily. But I need some opinions.

I'm currently using M50's, but they're getting old, and I am missing mids from my audio.

Between these two I am quite frightened of what people say about M-100 bass, that it's very heavy, and M50s have quite enough bass for me. If it wasn't for that it's V-MODA all the way, the design is superb, great portability too. The price is quite hefty, I would only be happy if there would be a satisfying option for less money.

I'm aware of LP2, but currently I can get them for 50€ less, and they lose the compactness and audio precision.

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 22
Nobody has opinions? Or even maybe other options that you've tried and sound worthy of 300USD or less (I'd rather see less)

Please, I really need some help with this.

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #3 of 22
I have a pair of M-100s, and have listened to a pair of Audio Technicas in the past. I'm a hardcore basshead and am not an audiophile, so when I first head the Audio Technicas, I listened only very briefly while playing the Korean pop song "Hot Issue" by 4Minute, and said, "Well, uh,...these cans have absolutely no bass at all. Next!"

So, if you think the M50s have enough bass for you, and you're scared of bass-heavy headphones, then definitely stick with Audio Technicas. To give you an idea of what the M-100s sound like, check out my article about them by clicking here. Good luck!

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 22
  I have a pair of M-100s, and have listened to a pair of Audio Technicas in the past. I'm a hardcore basshead and am not an audiophile, so when I first head the Audio Technicas, I listened only very briefly while playing the Korean pop song "Hot Issue" by 4Minute, and said, "Well, uh,...these cans have absolutely no bass at all. Next!"

So, if you think the M50s have enough bass for you, and you're scared of bass-heavy headphones, then definitely stick with Audio Technicas. To give you an idea of what the M-100s sound like, check out my article about them by clicking here. Good luck!

I've read that the MSR7's have lighter bass than M50's, so this option basically falls off. I don't want less. I can deal with more though, as long as it's not over exaggerated. I love bass myself, but I've always been taking a few steps back, because I think that if you get used to too much bass, you can't really enjoy music without heavy bass as much.

i was looking to buty the vmoda 100 aswell but decided to go with the focal spirit pro. I would reccomend them if you are from europe else they are to pricey

I've heard a lot of good things about these, but some say the fit is not too great, do you have any problems regarding fit with yours?

May 11, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #7 of 22
I went with MSR7, I wrote a short impressions of sorts on a new thread, where I asked about which headphones I should buy HERE.

If you don't want to read, I will give you a few key issues and likes about these.
+. Superb soundstage, these sometimes can sound almost like open-headphones without sacrifice of background noises.
+. Very nice, balanced sound, bass is a little bit too less for my tastes on low volumes, but oh god, when you turn these up, and the music is produced just right, they give the perfect immersion, for the price (of course), and the bass is really enjoyable, it doesn't over-saturate, neither it feels too faint.
−. Headband is uncomfortable, I bought a headband cover, now they're pretty comfortable, but the design suffers. I have pictures on the thread I mentioned above.
−. Plastic creaking in hinges, and stiff movements, I have to lubricate them once in a while. So in other words not the best build, I would really have loved them to be metal, but that would make the headband even more uncomfortable, and the headphones more expensive, so it's understandable. They look great though, in my opinion.

Edit: Honestly I think I would have regretted M-100's, cause I feel that they would sound a lot more artificial and the bass would cause too much strain on my eardrums.

May 11, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 22
Thanks for answer , and for short impressions. I will take a look on full thread, its big  problem here couse ath have better sound and vmoda  have more comfort and better build quality (my opinion), but i will have to choose, thanks anyway 

May 12, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #9 of 22
Yeah, well I had a similar breakdown of this. But I ended up going towards the better sound, because at the end of the day, that is what matters. I bought these for home usage.

But if I'd have to buy headphones for travel or outside use perhaps I would have went with V-Moda's, as they could be more durable, and you need a punchy bass to be able to hear it, with a the level of background noise/vibrations outside, or you could go noise cancelling. 

There are also MSR7NC (noise cancelling version of MSR7), perhaps this would make this easier for you.

May 12, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #10 of 22
I am looking for portable (every day use and occasionally travel) headphones, for outdoor usage, thats why i look for comfort and durability...But i agree with you at  the end of the day sound is most important thing... I will look little more and then i will decide (for now i think that overall  v moda is better choice for me)

Thank you for all.

p.s. I dont like active noise cancelling headphones (one more battery to think of :D)

May 12, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 22
Alright, no problem.
If you're interested, I carry TTPOD T1S dual driver earphones for outside use, and my god do they sound close to sound quality to MSR7, they isolate background noise very well, couldn't have wished for better earphones. And the cost is laughable for the quality they deliver. They won't handle you throwing them around, but they've seen a little bit of abuse from me, but I've been carrying them with me in my front pocket of jeans inside the carrying pouch they come with for over 1 year and they're almost as good as new, I love them.

Before I got them it felt like a sacrifice to use earphones after using headphones at home, not anymore with these one's, I highly recommend them, unless you really prefer wearing headphones over earphones.

May 13, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #12 of 22
I dont like in ear phones so thats not an option for travel and every day use...
but i saw that price is very nice and if they are that good i will check them for house use,i have sol republic jax in ear... thanks

May 13, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #13 of 22
Understandable.
These in-ear's that you have are reviewed quite well, but said to have heavy bass and weak highs, presumably mids aswell. You should be very impressed with T1 's, especial if you get T1E, which are more bass heavy, while retaining the well produced mids and highs. I also tried these, but they do not have media button, which is a requirement for me.

Edit: Oh and flat cable is the worst, I had one headphones with very slim flat cable, it was nice looking and feeling, but that cable noise... it was unbearable

May 14, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #14 of 22
I personally dont lke these soul republic, ye they have bad mids and high... but for now they must do the job. i will have your t1e in mind, couse i dont want to spend now on in ear if i had 60-70uisd more i would go for meze 99 classics or for oppo pm3 they are 150usd more insted of v moda or ath, so for now i must be happy with my in ear's

May 14, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #15 of 22
I personally dont lke these soul republic, ye they have bad mids and high... but for now they must do the job. i will have your t1e in mind, couse i dont want to spend now on in ear if i had 60-70uisd more i would go for meze 99 classics or for oppo pm3 they are 150usd more insted of v moda or ath, so for now i must be happy with my in ear's

I was looking at the Oppo headphones myself aswell. The price was the only thing that held me off. Maybe in 1 or 2 years I will purchase them, they have a lot of good reviews about them. Don't know anything about Meze

Users who are viewing this thread

Back