Which Android based DAP should I get to upgrade from Sony ZX2
May 28, 2020 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

markdjr

New Head-Fier
I've got a ZX2 and the outdated Android is starting to kill me. Is there a consensus on the best Android based DAP out there that would be on par or better than my ZX2? How about absolute best and best bang for buck? Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 8
Sony NW-ZX507 (must be non-European model) or the cheaper NW-ZX505 16GB china model.

New firmware released today allows for 24bit 192KHz support on streaming apps.

You have to invest into 4.4mm balanced gear if you want to experience the best sound quality out of the ZX507.

If you already love Sony sound signature, the zx507 is a evolution of what zx2 sounds. It has better soundstage depth, width and height.

Only two downside is a worse battery time and smaller screen size.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the follow up, I had overlooked this one as I thought all the new Sony's were just using Sony OS. I don't have balanced gear, ZX2 as I understand was not balanced, will I still find this to be a good setup without balanced headphones or amps? Also, will this unit perform well as a stand alone like the ZX2 or will it need additional amplification? Thanks for the info!

Sony NW-ZX507 (must be non-European model) or the cheaper NW-ZX505 16GB china model.

New firmware released today allows for 24bit 192KHz support on streaming apps.

You have to invest into 4.4mm balanced gear if you want to experience the best sound quality out of the ZX507.

If you already love Sony sound signature, the zx507 is a evolution of what zx2 sounds. It has better soundstage depth, width and height.

Only two downside is a worse battery time and smaller screen size.

May 28, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 8
ZX507 will perform better than ZX2 in single ended. 50mW on zx507 vs 15mW on zx2

As long as you are using gears 150ohms or lesser on single ended, the ZX507 should provide sufficient loudness.

Even with single ended, you will find that the zx507 has a more refined smoother sound than the zx2(which is already very good).

The reason to get balanced gear is to get the pitch black soundstage and the three dimensional soundstage.

Take your time to research what's right for you and don't overspend on this hobby which many of us tend to do.

May 29, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 8
DX220 or M15

May 31, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 8
Another vote for Sony ZX507. As long as you don't purchase your ZX507 from a country in Europe it will not be volume restricted.

I sold my AK SP1000M and switched to ZX507 because I found the Sony to sound more natural and realistic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back