Which Analog source to buy...
Apr 22, 2002 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TimSchirmer

Repelling digital infidels. (Would that be called the Digifadah?)
Well, I have been doing extensive research on turntables, and which one sounds the best.

I have narrowed my choices down to this list

Vintage (with upgrades)

Thorens 125/124
Garrard 301
Linn LP12 (would take another few months of saving)

New (perhaps a cartridge upgrade)

Music Hall MMF2.1
Revolver (slightly used)
Rega Planar 2/3

Has anyone had experience with any of these? I've been using my dad's old marantz 6300, and have decided that vinyl is the way to go.

Apr 22, 2002 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 12
I've got the Music Hall. It's a nice little table, but I wound up putting a new arm on it. One day I'll figure out why.

Of the tables you have listed, the LP-12 is the standout...head and shoulders above anything else on your list. If you can get it, do so. BUT, this is a difficult table to set up properly. A good Linn dealer in your area could save you a lot of heartburn.

I'd forget the Garrard. I've heard good things about the Thorens, and the Rega's are well-regarded (I've got to admit that my Rega listening was some time ago, and I didn't like them as much as people seem to today). I heard the Revolver years ago, but don't remember it well enough to say much.

HTH

Apr 22, 2002 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
do you think that a theta transport + Art Di/O would sound better than any of the Linn?

Bah! never mind that!! Must stick with analog...I love the whole concept of it.

Apr 22, 2002 at 6:08 AM Post #5 of 12
I would definitely go for a turntable. Not only are they fun and the music often cheap (depending on what you want), but the sound is wondrous, and while not necessarily "superior" to digital, unique and well-worth being able to experience regularly. And for what it's worth, I like the MMF-2.1, but I suspect you can get a better deal on the used market if you're willing to take the associated risks & also get it properly set up (perhaps by a dealer), etc.

Apr 23, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #6 of 12
I don't think you're missing many in your list of New. But you are missing the Pro-Ject turntables. These are made by the same Czech factory that makes Music Hall TTs. Both are carried by Music Direct. Pro-Ject probably still carried by Needle Doctor and Elusive Disc as well, all on the Web.

At the point when I upgraded, what Pro-Ject had was more attractive than anything in the price range from Rega, and Music Hall just had the entry-level TT (which was the same, largely, as the entry-level Pro-Ject). But the whole Pro-Ject line has since changed. Still definitely worth comparing with MH.

Some of those Goldring cartridges that come on these TTs are superb. The ones in the 10XX series.

For a good, musical, affordable, easy-to-live-with cartridge, the Grado Prestige series (I think is the name) -- is an easy choice. From the Red up through the Silver and Gold. I actually favor these over the Reference Platinum, which is a little too dark for me.

There's some controversy over those Linns, BTW; not everyone thinks they're on a par with newer designs.

Apr 24, 2002 at 2:38 AM Post #9 of 12
If you want a very 'musical' and not necessarily exteremely detailed or analytically perfect, vinyl is wonderous! I, too, did not buy the fact that vinyl sounded better than CD in some cases, and let me tell you, it IS better than CD in MANY cases. Actually, what's most crucial is that you take care of your LP's . . . scratched or warped LP's sound like poo and are so very inferior to CD; however LP's that are really cared for and babied can come quiite close or have better sound than CD. There are lots of factors that can degrade from the vinyl experience; just try to minimize as many as you can.

Apr 25, 2002 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 12
Okay, i've decided to go out on a limb and get a CEC Chuo Denki tt. I have never heard of the tables before, but I know they make superb cd transports. Besides, for the price i am getting, i simply can't go wrong

Apr 26, 2002 at 4:49 AM Post #11 of 12
Good luck! Vinyl rules. No reason not to have both analog and digital sources....

Apr 26, 2002 at 5:13 AM Post #12 of 12
Yes, this CEC table will be like a blind date. I scored it for about 40$. CEC makes 1000$ cd transports...so I figured their tt's would be at least decent. If I do not like it, I can always donate it to my dad. I figure it is best to start with a cheaper tt to see if I like vinyl. Besides, it seems like most of the better TT's cost over 500$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back