Which amp would you take for a Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro?
Feb 14, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #16 of 29
The E11 barely drives my DT880 Pro's, I would seriously look into the C&C BH amp for a few bucks more 300mW of output will drive the 250Ω for sure.

Check this thread here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

:beerchug:

Really? I'm not someone who destroys his ears through very loud music :) normally, I listen music at a normal level... I just prefer a good sound, like deep bass, nice treble and stuff.
As an example: my ears began to hurt when I put the Fiio's volume up to 2, with my Sennheiser HD439 (32 ohm) and even with Koss PortaPro (60Ohm)
Have you changed the Fiio's option to "high-impedance"? I think there's a button or something like this on the right side, next to the bass-equaliser.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:
Really? I'm not someone who destroys his ears through very loud music :) normally, I listen music at a normal level... I just prefer a good sound, like deep bass, nice treble and stuff.
As an example: my ears began to hurt when I put the Fiio's volume up to 2, with my Sennheiser HD439 (32 ohm) and even with Koss PortaPro (60Ohm)
Have you changed the Fiio's option to "high-impedance"? I think there's a button or something like this on the right side, next to the bass-equaliser.

Hey Nati123

Yes both the Gain switch on the side and the Power switch inside are both set to high.
With my 'Sones and PortaPro's as well the E11 drives them very nicely, it's just the DT880's that it has a problem with.

There is a good possibility that the Colorfly does not have enough output level to drive the E11 adequately where as the E17 has a larger input gain. I'll have to test it with the wife's Clip+ and an iPod, since I haven't used anything else since I got that amazing little C3 player.

On a side note...
If you only need to put your E11 on 2 to have it too loud, then I'd say you don't require an amp for your source, just sayin'. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #18 of 29
Haha, nah i need the amp anyway, because the Beyers sound awful driven by my IPod ... Without any bass and stuff.
But I like them very much. They're not burned it (if you believe in "burn-in-time"), but they sound awesome, anyway.
Maybe you have to put the sound on such a high level, because you're not using the "L-cable" of Fiio? Without it I'd also have to put the volume up to 5 or so...
Or my ears are just sensible, and they don't like loud sounds. :wink:

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #19 of 29
Hey guys, i was thinking of buying the DT 990 pro 250 ohm. I already own the FiiO E07K, do you think it will pair well with these cans?

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #20 of 29
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it will do. Since the E07k has a DAC inside, it should sound even a little better than a FiiO E11 or similar. And in my opinion, the DT990 Pro are awesome cans. You'll have great fun with them :)

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #21 of 29
  Yeah, I'm pretty sure it will do. Since the E07k has a DAC inside, it should sound even a little better than a FiiO E11 or similar. And in my opinion, the DT990 Pro are awesome cans. You'll have great fun with them :)

That's great news. I'll be ordering mine in a few days. Cheers!! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #23 of 29

I usually use a FiiO E11. It's got a lot of power! Volume level 3-4 hits my threshold of discomfort ^^ 

I would like to hear your impressions of the Beyer's sound :wink:

Have a nice day!

Oh man.. ABSOLUTELY GREAT SOUND!!! Period!

And yes, my FiiO E07K does have enough power for them. But i think am gonna buy the E09K soon though :wink:

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #24 of 29
  Oh man.. ABSOLUTELY GREAT SOUND!!! Period!

And yes, my FiiO E07K does have enough power for them. But i think am gonna buy the E09K soon though :wink:

Ha, I'm glad to hear that you enjoy it! 
darthsmile.gif

I'm not sure, if an E09K would be a huge improvement. If you had the 600 Ohm version, maybe a Schiit Audio Valhalla was worth a look. Are there any shops where you could test the FiiO? I think this was important...

Cheers!

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #25 of 29
  Ha, I'm glad to hear that you enjoy it! 
darthsmile.gif

I'm not sure, if an E09K would be a huge improvement. If you had the 600 Ohm version, maybe a Schiit Audio Valhalla was worth a look. Are there any shops where you could test the FiiO? I think this was important...

Cheers!

From where i live, nothing is available (small island called Mauritius.. i know, damn). So if the E09K won't be much of an improvement, maybe i need to look somewhere else.. I've been reading a couple of posts, and one of the guys pointed out that the Maverick TubeMagic A1 does magic with it. But, can't find it anywhere on the online stores :frowning2:

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #26 of 29
When I had the DT990 pro, I thought it benefitted greatly from a tube amp. I was using a Cmoy, then I upgraded to a little dot mk3. IMO, the tube sound is well suited to the DT990 - brings out the mids a tad, smooths the treble, and showcases the soundstage.

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #27 of 29
I have a 990pros and a number of amplifiers, vintage and dedicated headamps. Every one of my vintage peices sounds relatively poor with the pros: bright, shrill, lacking depth and true detail. The LDIII fares better, but doesn't control the HP's diaphragms like a good ss amp. A BCL clone does well all-around. The bass extension is particularly impressive. In terms of pure sound quality, in an audiophile sense, the internal headamp in the Oppo 105 wins. If this were me, I'd buy a BCL clone from ebay. Good luck. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back