Which amp would you take for a Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro?
Jan 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Nati123

New Head-Fier
Hello all!

I thought a lot about headphones: which would be the best one, which has got the best sound... And so on.
So, I'm now probably going to buy the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, which has got 250 ohm. I already own some sources, but no amp yet.
My current sources are:
- An apple IPod touch 4g
- A pioneer AV revceiver VSX-322
- A DJ Tech/Scott DJX 10i

Of course, to put the Beyer's plug into my iPod is not the best way to drive the headphones.
But I don't know if my Pioneer receiver would get everything of clarity, bass and volume out of the Beyers.
If not, I'd like to buy an amplifier. It doesn't have to be full size one, it may also be portable. My budget is up to 100€.

Well, I need your advice:
- Do you think a Pioneer Receiver - or my DJX 10i - would be good to drive a 250 Ohm headphone (and would it get nice sound out of it)
- Or should I buy an amp.?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:
I thought a lot about headphones: which would be the best one, which has got the best sound... And so on.
So, I'm now probably going to buy the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, which has got 250 ohm. I already own some sources, but no amp yet.
My current sources are:
- An apple IPod touch 4g
- A pioneer AV revceiver VSX-322
- A DJ Tech/Scott DJX 10i
Of course, to put the Beyer's plug into my iPod is not the best way to drive the headphones.
But I don't know if my Pioneer receiver would get everything of clarity, bass and volume out of the Beyers.
If not, I'd like to buy an amplifier. It doesn't have to be full size one, it may also be portable. My budget is up to 100€.
Well, I need your advice:
- Do you think a Pioneer Receiver - or my DJX 10i - would be good to drive a 250 Ohm headphone (and would it get nice sound out of it)
- Or should I buy an amp.?

For the iPod 4g, the Fiio E11 (with Fiio L cable) should do the job.
The Pioneer's headphone output should work well with 250-Ohm headphones.
I know zero about the DJ Tech/Scott DJX 10i

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 29
Some friends use that kind of Dj mixers with ipod dock and the headphone out is not strong enough. It will be fine with headphones of 32ohm impedance to 60ohm probably. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #5 of 29
For the iPod 4g, the Fiio E11 (with Fiio L cable) should do the job.
The Pioneer's headphone output should work well with 250-Ohm headphones.
I know zero about the DJ Tech/Scott DJX 10i

Ok, thank you! Looks good, and also the ratings and reviews are good. Is there any way to use a DAC with my iPod? There's an iPad Camera-adapter, with which you can avoid the IPod DAC, but can you use it also with an iPod? Or is there another way? Thanks in advance :)

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #6 of 29
Some friends use that kind of Dj mixers with ipod dock and the headphone out is not strong enough. It will be fine with headphones of 32ohm impedance to 60ohm probably. 

Thank you! If my calculations are right, 250 ohm are more than 32/60 ohm, so I should really buy an amp or use my AV receiver :wink:

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #8 of 29
Hi Guys!

I got the Fiio a few days ago, and I've already had some time to test it. I'm really happy with it. It produces a nice atmosphere, a very nice fullness of sound and the bass equalizer is kind of awesome. I think I can hear even more details than before, because the mids seem to be more present. And of course, also in the highs are more details now. My iPod isn't able to get everything out of my Sennheiser HD 439, so I missed some features of the Sennheiser's... I'm looking forward to test the Fiio with a Beyerdynamic :)
Thank you!

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:
Hi Guys!

I got the Fiio a few days ago, and I've already had some time to test it. I'm really happy with it. It produces a nice atmosphere, a very nice fullness of sound and the bass equalizer is kind of awesome. I think I can hear even more details than before, because the mids seem to be more present. And of course, also in the highs are more details now. My iPod isn't able to get everything out of my Sennheiser HD 439, so I missed some features of the Sennheiser's... I'm looking forward to test the Fiio with a Beyerdynamic
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you!

Glad you are enjoying your setup. 
smile.gif

Cheers

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:
Hi Guys!

I got the Fiio a few days ago, and I've already had some time to test it. I'm really happy with it. It produces a nice atmosphere, a very nice fullness of sound and the bass equalizer is kind of awesome. I think I can hear even more details than before, because the mids seem to be more present. And of course, also in the highs are more details now. My iPod isn't able to get everything out of my Sennheiser HD 439, so I missed some features of the Sennheiser's... I'm looking forward to test the Fiio with a Beyerdynamic
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you!

Nice!

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 29
Final update:
I ordered the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro a few minutes ago from thomann, for 200$.
I can't wait to test them with my Fiio :wink:
What do you think, should I choose the high-impedance option or the low-impedance option? 250 ohm are quite much...
Thanks in advance

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #12 of 29
The E11 will run FINE with the 250 ohm version.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #13 of 29
Feb 13, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #14 of 29
Feb 14, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 29
Hey PurpleAngel

Yes all set to High, inside and out.
This is from my Colorfly C3, if the source flac file's level is very good then the E11 will drive the 880's with the volume at 8/10 for a really good listening level, I've never had the volume above 4/10 for my HFI-780's on the E11 as a comparison. The 'Sones are only 35Ω and both cans have the same 96dB/mW sensitivity...
Now my E17 in that same setup with the same files only requires 40/60 to get the same volume. This I attribute to the gain setting of +12 on the E17 as I am not sure what the gain values are on the E11.

I was suggesting that the C&C BH might just be a better option...
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back