which AMP would you buy for $1,000?
Nov 5, 2001 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

johnnylexus

500+ Head-Fier
The unsophisticated nature of this question may offend many of you readers, but here goes anyway ....

In the $1,000 price range, what is your favorite amp? I have heard a little bit about the MicroZOTL and the Maxed Out Home.

Are there other headphone amp manufacturers in this price range? The reason I picked $1000 is because I heard there is a noticable leap in quality from the $400-$500 amps when you start shelling out close to $1000. Anything much beyond that is just way too expensive for me. The amp should be able to present anything from classical to hard rock with no problem.

Thanks.

Nov 5, 2001 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 34
maybe an EarMax Pro (or whatevr it's called, the little tube amp with the cute looks
smily_headphones1.gif
) dunno how it sounds, but it looks pretty good
smily_headphones1.gif

or maybe a Corda. maybe not quite as good as a $1000 amp, but probably close enough. and I like the idea of adjustable crossfeed and the zero-hassle of ss amps.

Nov 5, 2001 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 34
The earmax pro is quite tubey and great for Sennheisers. Personally I would go with a ZOTL for reasons I am not sure about... and crossfeed does not matter for me since I do not seem to like it...

Nov 5, 2001 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 34
If I wanted the sweetest-looking amp (w/ good sound as well), I'd go for an Earmax Pro. If I wanted a cleaner-sounding tube amp, definitely the MicroZotl. If I wanted a great solid-state amp, I'd grab the Sugden Headmaster.

Nov 5, 2001 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 34
Keep an eye out for old Melos Sha-1s. That's the best way to break the $1000 barrier without actually paying for it.
wink.gif
And yes, there is definitely a tremendous difference once you break that price barrier. In fact, there's still a big difference between $700-800 amps compared to the $1000+ ones. My RKV Mark II utterly smokes the McCormack MID.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 5, 2001 at 9:45 PM Post #8 of 34
Nov 6, 2001 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 34
If I wanted to spend $1000 on a headphone amp, I'd buy the Maxed Out Home, and maybe the Earmax Pro for occasionally listening to tubes. And that is exactly what I bought. If I had to have just one of them it would be the MO Home. (Haven't heard the ZOTL.)

Ross

Nov 6, 2001 at 3:23 AM Post #10 of 34
I'd be torn. My choices would be (in no particular order):
  1. HeadRoom Cosmic -- getting something that approximates the sound/performance of my Max, but is portable, would be very compelling.
  2. Berning MicroZOTL -- I've never heard it, but it is well-reviewed.
  3. Wheatfield HA-2 -- I've never heard this one either, but it strikes me as an amp that might be "tubey".

Nov 6, 2001 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 34
If you want to go the tube route I highly recommend the MicroZOTL. I feel that it handily beats the Earmax Pro, Melos SHA-1 and the RKV. I have had the chance to listen to all of them and I strongly recommend the MicroZOTL.

Nov 6, 2001 at 3:44 AM Post #13 of 34
thanks for all your replies!

zotl is getting a lot of votes here.
I wish I had a way to hear amps with and without crossfeed, but nobody around here has these amps. From what I have heard about it, I don't think I would *require* crossfeed.

I think I've narrowed this down to maxed out vs. microzotl. hmmm.
confused.gif

Nov 6, 2001 at 3:57 AM Post #14 of 34
AudioValve RKV -- I voted with my wallet -- bought one, and never looked back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back