Which amp to choose? Fiio e7 or e9 or e11 or e17? please help a newbie
Mar 29, 2012 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ridfighter

Head-Fier
Hi, I have looked at previous postings about this questions and posted this question on the"Portable Headphone Amp section" but not many responses there, so i  havent come across the right answer, I planning to buy the Denon D2000 headphone and what portable amp will power this? from the responses i have got i have narrowed it down to :

Fiio E7

Fiio E9

Fiio E11

Fiio E17

Now my question is as a newbie to Amps, which amp will be the most suited for me with the criteria below

1) I will only be using this Amp through my Iphone 4s and Ipad

2) battery life has to be decent (i might buy extra battery pack if that is available)

3) transportabilty

4)I like Bass and lots of Bass!!

So which of these Amps will drive the D2K the best and bring out the potential it has? I do realize that the D2000 are not very portable and they leak sound and have a mile long wire, The only reason why i need it to be portable is because i fly long distance 2 to 3 times a year and i just want these to be merely Transportable,  would really appreciate if someone can help me find the Right portable amp to power the Denon D2000, Thank you so much for your thoughts, God bless you and have a wonderful day.
bigsmile_face.gif

Rida

you guys on this forum rock!!!

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 21
Make sure you're using an LOD cable from your iDevices, regardless of which amp you choose. All you're going to get is more volume otherwise.

As far as the amp, I bought both the E7 and E11 at the same time because I was in your spot a few months ago. I ended up going with the E7 because A, the display looks cool. Yes, I know that's a silly reason. Deal with it. :) B, it also works as a DAC and I used that feature almost as much, if not more, than using it as just as amp. C, it allowed me to easily upgrade to the E7+E9 combo in the future if I got higher impedance 'phones (which I did; both). That uses the more powerful amp of the desktop E9 and the DAC in the E7 for a good quality budget combo. I'm perfectly happy with my decision thus far. The E7 tightens up the sound out of my iThings, with better bass and imaging, and less congestion of the sound. The battery life is almost ridiculous, the screen has a cool retro look, it has headphone outputs for sharing tunes or forcing your girlfriend to help you A-B headphones. I think it's a really good value and would buy it again.

If I had been buying purely from a portable standpoint, I may have gone with the E11, though, because it felt like it had a little bit more oomph than the E7. Like I said, the E7 mainly won based on style, versatility, and upgradability.

I hope my ramblings have helped you in your decision.

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
@ MC21: Really? why dont you take the time to write your own question instead of threadjacking my question, cmon grow up!!

@Malveaux : Thanks for the advice i appreciate it

Really? I didn't want to clutter the forum since this thread was so specific to my question at hand. Because the exact same amps were mentioned and even similar headphones were in question, I added my question onto this thread. If you really think this is out of line then fine, but I disagree wholeheartedly and thought a similar situation would add more to the discussion at hand.

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #11 of 21
The iPhone already has a decent DAC so it's not really necessary. The DAC is basically an external sound card so it's only needed if your source DAC is not up to par. 

Quote:
I am learning about this stuff, anyways do i need a DAC with the amp? what advantage will it have over reguler amp? will i need a amp with DAC for my iphone 4s to the Denon d2000?

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #12 of 21
As you can't use the DAC feature of the E7 and E17 with the iPhone and iPod.
And the E9 can't be used without an AC wall plug (and there are better headphone amplifiers for 25-Ohm headphones (AH-D2000))
That just leaves the Fiio E11 (also get the Fiio L cable).
The iPhone and iPod should work at least decently with the AH-D2000, without an extra amplifier.
One advantage the E11 might give is that if the iPhone and iPod do not have to power their own internal headphone amplifier, then they might last longer between charging.
You can get two extra batteries and an AC battery recharger for $12 off eBay, for the E11.

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #13 of 21
Thanks "Purpleangel" i really appreciate it, yeah i was wondering why i need a DAC so you answered my question, since you told me that the Iphone 4s has a built in DAC i would not need it, so i will go for the Fiio E11 after all, is there any other Amps for this price range or is this a decent Amp?

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
I am learning about this stuff, anyways do i need a DAC with the amp? what advantage will it have over reguler amp? will i need a amp with DAC for my iphone 4s to the Denon d2000?

Apple products seem to come with very decent built-in DACs (Digital to Analog Converters).

Quote:
Thanks "Purpleangel" I really appreciate it, yeah i was wondering why I need a DAC so you answered my question, since you told me that the Iphone 4s has a built in DAC I would not need it, so I will go for the Fiio E11 after all, is there any other Amps for this price range or is this a decent Amp?

There is also the cmoy type portable headphone amplifiers, they are sold on eBay.

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #15 of 21
Why do I feel like no one is reading my posts? Post count too low I guess...end rant 
rolleyes.gif
. PurpleAngel IS very helpful however. Enjoy your E11 when you get it. Also, check out the E11 review/impressions thread in the portable amp forum for more research should you need it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back