Which amp should I get?
Dec 19, 2011 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AyeCee

100+ Head-Fier
I am tossing up between:
-cMoyBB v2.03
-iBasso D-Zero
-Fiio E7
My Rig will Look like this: Ipod Nano 3g -> Fiio LOD cable -> AMP/DAC -> sennheiser cx300ii/HD25-1ii
I listen to more electronic, house and techno music, and ill be using them with both my Sennheiser CX300 ii's and my Sennheiser HD25-1 ii AS A PORTABLE RIG. Also what does the gain option do? As I understand it, it adjusts the output to make it more suitable for your headphones and has something to do with the impedance of your headphones. Also does the DAC in the ibasso and the fiio really do anything? I will be connecting the amp/dac with a LOD, so will the DAC kick in or will it just amplify the output?
thanks for your help :)
cheers
Adrian

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #2 of 3
A DAC is a digital-to-analog converter used usually to connect to the USB of a computer/laptop to convert the digital signal coming from the computer's sound card/processor back to nice analog signal.  If you are not listening out of a computer, your won't use the DAC section of the D-Zero or E7 -- but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get one of those if that is the sound you are wanting.

I've not heard the D-Zero, but the under $125 iBasso amps tend to sound similar: very clean, almost cool sounding.  The E7 is similar, it has a minimal bass boost, but I didn't think the amp section was very strong -- I had to turn it to 100% to notice an increase in volume.  Both the D-Zero and E7 have a very nice build and form.

The CMoyBB is a different amp in several ways:  it is more warm sounding with a pretty good bass boost, if you need it.  But since it is in a tin can case, you have to open the case to turn on/off the BB, change the battery, and it is not quite as portable, IMO.  While the sound is very good, the form seems rather DIY/home-made.

Oh, and Gain is simply an adjustment to the power output (basically the volume), depending on whether you have sensitive or power-hungry ear/headphones.  Your HD-25 is less sensitive than the CX300, but any of the 3 amps you mentioned will give it some additional power to improve the sound.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #3 of 3
sound wise, cMoy will outperform all of them i think. But the problem is, it's very uncomfortable. tin case gets easily dented, and you have to change battery time to time... (Even though, it has a fairly good battery time, you always have to be aware of battery dying on you) There is chargable option, but you also have to buy separate power charger. The DAC function for e7 is pretty awful i think, for a sole purpose of the amp, E11 is better.

If you don't need DAC, go with e11 ( for portable use), or cMoy if you value sq more than portability.

If you must inquire a DAC then... E7. (cuz it could easily be translated with e7/e9 combo)

Or just go with E6, and get a good DAC/AMP later on. The portable amp, won't necessarily change the "sound quality" as you probably imagine.

Well that's what happened to me at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back