Which amp should I be looking at?
Mar 11, 2024 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kb5757

New Head-Fier
I have several Headphone, several IEMs
Need something to power all of my listening gear, adequately, with enough power for the headphones and finesse for my IEMs.

I started with 'lesser' items (see below) and keep everything in as new condition. As you move up the food chain, the quality is amazily better.
I'd like to invest in a n amp to keep for a while, not try out for a few months/a year just to upgrade to the next best thing. I'm good with what's great today.

Current Headphones:
- Focal Elear
- Sennheiser 600
- Sennheiser 800s
- Meze Pro 109
- Rosson RAD-0
- Soon - ZMF Caldera Open

Current IEMs:
- Yume Ultra
- Duna SA6 MK2
- 7th Acoustics Supernova
- Nostalgia Camelot
- UM Multiverse Mentor
- Soon - Fir Audio R6

Currently using a Questyle CMA 600i. Not enough power for my headphones & would prefer a dedicated 4.4 output without the need for an adapter (IEMs)

Budget is $2k to $4k

So many experts here. I love listening to music all day. Please feel free to comment.
Much appreciated.

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 6
Hello,

my tip here would be to buy a Dac where you would prefer and then 2 headphone amps one for Iem's and the other for headphones.

The question to you for headphones should it be tube or solid state amplifier?

The reason I say this is because most of the headphones you have need good power and should be able to drive 300 ohms.
With Iem's you should have something more dedicated because of the low impedance.
Normal headphone amplifiers are usually not designed for this.

However, the Singxer Sa1 comes to mind as a rough all-rounder if you are looking for something like this.
If you are looking for something like an all-in-one then the Queststyle is not a bad choice, the Matrix Audio mini 4 is also good.
Burson would also be an option, also as an amplifier for headphones.

For Iem's I would leave it to connoisseurs as you may be better advised, even if there is something from Ify.
Perhaps even going in the direction of Dap for Iem's would also be an option.
It all depends on what you already have in the system as a Dac and just use it to give them a little upgrade along the way.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 6
Amazing budget. You have so many great options. Violectric v590 or Headamp GS-X mk2 are great options along with the tried and true burson lineup. Oh and can't forget the ferrum oor (and the other ferrum components for their stack).

Tubewise since you have IEMs in the mix as well, OTC tube amps would be the way to go and the cayin ha-3a would be a great OTC option. The cayin ha-6a is also an option but imo 22de4 rectifier tubes are very hard to source, and the reason I went for the 3a instead. Cayin amps have an insane amount of power (definitely their advertised watt ratings are NOT the usual 32ohm standard) so I would highly recommend a preamp or volume control of some sort.

It may be wiser to get amp for headphones and dap for IEMs like @Deleeh recommended.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 6
Having just put together a Topping A70Pro/D70Pro Octo stack, I just can't recommend it strongly enough. I've heard a lot of what's on the market for the business, and convinced after hearing that combo that there's no upgrade path to it. My current SMSL SP400/M400 stack is also just a joy to listen to. Won't break the bank or go wrong with either after putting them both together.

Mar 11, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 6
Having just put together a Topping A70Pro/D70Pro Octo stack, I just can't recommend it strongly enough. I've heard a lot of what's on the market for the business, and convinced after hearing that combo that there's no upgrade path to it. My current SMSL SP400/M400 stack is also just a joy to listen to. Won't break the bank or go wrong with either after putting them both together.
There's enough power there for the Headphones? Especially the Rosson?

Mar 11, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 6
Hello,

my tip here would be to buy a Dac where you would prefer and then 2 headphone amps one for Iem's and the other for headphones.

The question to you for headphones should it be tube or solid state amplifier?

The reason I say this is because most of the headphones you have need good power and should be able to drive 300 ohms.
With Iem's you should have something more dedicated because of the low impedance.
Normal headphone amplifiers are usually not designed for this.

However, the Singxer Sa1 comes to mind as a rough all-rounder if you are looking for something like this.
If you are looking for something like an all-in-one then the Queststyle is not a bad choice, the Matrix Audio mini 4 is also good.
Burson would also be an option, also as an amplifier for headphones.

For Iem's I would leave it to connoisseurs as you may be better advised, even if there is something from Ify.
Perhaps even going in the direction of Dap for Iem's would also be an option.
It all depends on what you already have in the system as a Dac and just use it to give them a little upgrade along the way.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
Thx for your suggestions. Will research these options. Wish I had the space for Tube Amp so I need a single box solution (unfortunately).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back