Which amp is at least as good as the Raptor at the same price range?
Jun 22, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 8
Wow, thanks, vcoheda! I haven't heard of this particular model and it looks very interesting. I've always liked SP and this is good homework
cool.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #4 of 8
how about trying to get someone to build you a 3 channel B22...

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #5 of 8
I think the AT-HA5000 is at a similar level of sound quality as the Raptor when matched with AT headphones or the SA5000.

The Lehmann Black Cube Linear driving the HD650 is also very good and comparable to the Raptor.

The Corda Prehead MkII SE and Corda Opera drive the HD650 and K701 very well, close or roughly equivalent to the Raptor. These three amps are also good with Beyers such as the DT990-'05 or DT880-'05, though I don't like the Beyers as much as the K701 or HD650.

The K1000 driven by the AudioValve RKV is as good as or better than the Raptor.

I think the Raptor is a very versatile amp and sounds good with a wide variety of headphones.

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

how about trying to get someone to build you a 3 channel B22...

Unfortunately, this won't work for me unless I manage to hear the amp elsewhere first.

Quote:

I think the AT-HA5000 is at a similar level of sound quality as the Raptor when matched with AT headphones or the SA5000.

The Lehmann Black Cube Linear driving the HD650 is also very good and comparable to the Raptor.

The Corda Prehead MkII SE and Corda Opera drive the HD650 and K701 very well, close or roughly equivalent to the Raptor. These three amps are also good with Beyers such as the DT990-'05 or DT880-'05, though I don't like the Beyers as much as the K701 or HD650.

The K1000 driven by the AudioValve RKV is as good as or better than the Raptor.

I think the Raptor is a very versatile amp and sounds good with a wide variety of headphones.

Thanks for these suggestions, I would've overlooked researching them otherwise. Of the combos you've mentioned, I've heard Audiovalve (and Rudistor) drive HD6?0 and thought it fine, although perhaps a different camp than what I'd like to get into. Otoh, I haven't heard Lehmann's headamp but my preconception is that their sound is distinguishably solid-state which, while there's nothing wrong with that, having owned a couple of their phonos, there's that sense of being overfamiliar.

Corda (Aria I believe) I've heard with K701s and it didn't catch my fancy but then the Opera is a different beast. I'll have to read more about this.

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 8
The Opera is very different sounding from the Aria IMO (and I prefer the Opera).

The Blue Circle Audio SBH is also a very good choice in that price range.

Jun 23, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #8 of 8
Using AKG340 headphones, I much preferred the Singlepower PPX3 Slam to the Raptor. With these headphones and to my ears and brain, the Raptor sound dull and lifeless while the PPX3 Slam sounded lush and organic. I then bought a Slam (which has since been transformed into a Platinum Extreme).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back