Which amp is a step up from X-Can V3 (or 2 steps or 3 steps...)?
May 17, 2005 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

jonta_dj

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a X-Can V3, which some people consider quite good and a good match with Senn HD650. Other say it's not such a good match or that the X-Can isn't powerful enough for the HD650. My soundcard is a Lynx L22.

So, I wonder. Is HD650 a good head phone? Which is a better one (step up from that) in the hifi world?

Is the X-can V3 rated kinda lowfi? Advice me on a better one, please
smily_headphones1.gif

What's a good combination. I want to keep the Lynx L22.

Also, can you describe (atleast shortly, please..) how some phones or amp or a combination sound different from my current.

ps.
I'm a newbie so don't be angry, please...

May 17, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 23
I notice that you have been desiring more bass. I think that you should consider an M^3, which has a bass boost dial. I believe you can get a M^3 for very very reasonable prices, and it would probably satisfy your bass urges. If you read the reviews around here, it's also supposed to have nice, full bodied sound, which would seem to correct some of the thinness you mentioned, as well.

May 17, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 23
Actually, I don't want just bass. My first impressions was that I was lacking bass but maybe I am listening to more of a hifi sound now and it's supposed to be something like this
plainface.gif

I want something that is supposed to be better than X-Can V3 (I currently think that is my weakest part) and sound as natural as possible
580smile.gif

May 17, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonta_dj
Actually, I don't want just bass. My first impressions was that I was lacking bass but maybe I am listening to more of a hifi sound now and it's supposed to be something like this
plainface.gif

I want something that is supposed to be better than X-Can V3 (I currently think that is my weakest part) and sound as natural as possible
580smile.gif

I use and X-can v3 as my secondary headphone amp. It is a very capable amp, however, not great for the 650s. Actually, the only amp that I have that properly drives the 650s is my MPX3. I feel that the X-Can is very comparable to the SR-71 and SM v3, however nowhere close to my maxed MPX3.

You might consider tube rolling your X-can. I have heard other members have done so with great results.

May 17, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

sleestack: Do you use sennheiser hd650? How is the MPX3 different than the X-can when combined with these senns?

IS your maxed MPX3 modded or what?

Thank you!

Out of my 3 cans (650s, SA5000s and ATH-W1000s) the 650s are my favorite. With my x-Can v3, the Sony SA5000s sound the best. The 650s are a great match with the MPX3. Compared to the x-Can, there is much more detail and a far wider soundstage. Bass is more defined and everything just sounds more lush. My MPX3 is modded in the sense that it was built with every Singlepower upgrade available and cost more than 2x than a stock MPX3.

May 17, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Who makes/sells the mpx3? I don't know what price we're talking now, it must'n go insane
wink.gif

Singlepower. The base configuration is around $900. My configuration was around $2200. You certainly don't need to spend $2200 to get great perfromance. Check out Singlepowers' PPX3 SLAM. Many people on this board also like the Ray Samuel's Raptor. There are quite a few great amps out there.

May 17, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 23
I had the X-Can V2 for several years, and then went to the Singlepower Supra, which is the next model up from the MPX3 (although all of the Singlepower models can be configured with various upgrades). I found it a signficant upgrade from the X-Can with the HD-600/HD-650 line, both in terms of the bass and HF response, and I am sure this would apply to upgrading from the X-Can V3 to the MPX3 as well.

May 17, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Who makes/sells the mpx3? I don't know what price we're talking now, it must'n go insane
wink.gif

www.singlepower.com

If you contact them, I am sure they will help you decide a model and suggest suitable options. Their customer service is really good.

The Singlepower amps are very well known here at Head-Fi and there has been a lot written about them. Just give the search function a try
wink.gif
Actually, I would recommend you to take a thorough look in the Amp section to get to know what people think of different amps in combination with the HD650. There is nothing that beats your own judgement
eggosmile.gif

May 18, 2005 at 11:31 AM Post #11 of 23
Just a suggestion: you have a nice "mid-fi" tube amp, would you consider your next amp to be solid state?

I auditioned the Music Fidelity amp and loved it with my ms-pros but couldn't live without the upper treble that was missing and a more controlled bass. But I loved the sweet, silky mid-range and what it did to female vocals... nice.

Ah, maybe that was why I didn't buy it. It did things to music. Good things, tubey things, smooth things, but not natural things.

Since you mentioned you wanted "natural" as part of your criteria I could suggest the Talisman T-3H. A very neutral and hence natural amp. What you put in you get out, but louder. Not an outrageous price either. I'm sure others can suggest similar or better solid state amps as well.

TonyAAA

May 18, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
Ah, maybe that was why I didn't buy it. It did things to music. Good things, tubey things, smooth things, but not natural things.

a well designed tube amp sounds very "natural", at least to my understanding of the word. i don't think the problems you heard were because it was a tube amp, per se, but because that particular X-Can V.3 had some problems, for whatever reason.

May 18, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 23
does this apply to other tube amps or is it just he X-Can:
if I knock it gently it makes quite a lot of noise. I read in another forum that someone had this "problem". It's not a problem for me really, cause I don't knock it otherwise, it was only for testing...

So, what is really the difference between a tube amp and a solid state amp? I'm tempted to buy something new soon... gaah, haven't had these very long yet...

May 19, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
I auditioned the Music Fidelity amp and loved it with my ms-pros but couldn't live without the upper treble that was missing and a more controlled bass. But I loved the sweet, silky mid-range and what it did to female vocals... nice.
TonyAAA

If you didn't hear much treble with the X-Can you heard then it probably wasn't fully burned in yet. I auditioned a new X-Can at a local dealer, and it sounded dull and closed in. I went back to the same dealer two weeks later and had another listen to the same X-Can after it had been burned in, and this time there was all the treble you could ask for, and the amp had excellent tranparency.

May 19, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #15 of 23
Check out the Woo Audio 3. I have one and will not be looking any further. It is single ended triode magic for under $500. It was designed with the HD650 in mind! Can be modded to the nuts too if you have the time and inclination. Built like a tank and sexy!

Rodent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back